Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to the forum im on a the honda atv forum the other form is much like this one except this is all for the ex's im having a problem with my wheeler it has a full fmf power core 4 and a uni lid on its an 02 300ex and it sputters/ cuts in and out in the top of 3rd 4th and 5th some times it clear up others it doesnt i clean the carb twice jetted it to dyno's suggestion and still can get it to clear up i put in a new plug and fresh gas it started about a week ago in the top of fifth when i was wide open but i didnt pay too much attention to it what do you think it could be?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just had the same problem easter weekend with 450er. I re jetted, cleaned the carb, messed with the needle, replaced the spark plug... turns out my outerwear on my air filter was plugged up so even though I rejetted it was still running rich. I took off the pre filter and it ran just fine. Thank goodness cuz I thought I was gonna have to buy a new ignition module. it was having some problems starting too and i just bought a new battery. try checking your air filter.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
If your machine is running rich and you haven't checked the air filter, then you should give up riding altogether. You have to do the basic maintenance before you even think of cleaning the carb or "messing" with the needle. And if I am a "rude dick" (as I was accused of in another post), I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So you know you're a rude dick, and comment was uncalled for. I guess you do know everything. For those like me who weren't born with an inherent knowledge of atv's, I salute you and your perfectionism. Thumbs up!

By the way, nothing was wrong with my filter. It was my outer wear. Bet you feel like a real big boy, huh?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Outer filter - inner filter - it's still a filter - it needs to be checked and serviced regularly - most problems are simple - as simple as a dirty filter and some people ignore the obvious and try to turn it into a major operation. Let's see; would I rather clean a filter or remove a carb? OK - let's remove the carb, rejet it, mess with the needle, reinstall it, then clean the filter, remove the carb, jet it back and then get back to riding. DUH! I prefer to ride instead of waste time performing repairs that are not necessary. It's kinda like: when the engine has been running fine and is then suddenly hard to start. Should I trouble-shoot the ignition or adjust the valves? I worked as a motorcycle mechanic, built high performance engines and raced for over 30 years. I must be doing something right because I have never had an engine let me down. I have had other problems (bent handlebars, bent wheels, flat tires, broken axles) but the only time I didn't manage to ride back to the parking area was when I broke a chain. (not from lack of maintenance either. a tree branch got between the chain and sprocket causing the chain to break a side plate) (oh yeah - chains don't stretch - they wear out - lack of maintenance or using cheap merchandise is the normal cause of failure) Gnaw me! I will provide logical and sound advice to the questions posed, but I can't perform the basics for you. No, I am not perfect, but I am a damn sight closer to logically correct than you are at this time!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guess there's no need for a forum anymore guys, just ask the guy above anything you want to know. He's next to perfect! Looks like he wrote the manuals for all our bikes.

No wait, don't. He'll tell you you shouldn't be riding anymore because you're too stupid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.