Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have a 501 trx 450r and was wondering can i just simply order a hid kit from ebay with the ballast and hook it up or do i need to do some electric work? Just let me know thank you!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to run the 1000K

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
I believe you need a battery and a charging system. The HID kits run on DC power - the lights on the 450R run on AC directly off the alternator - most lights are stupid, they will work on AC or DC, but HID's need DC

·
Registered
61 Posts
lol here to help, you are off again man.

05 450 lights run dc power after coming out reg/rec.
how would the fan run if it was ac?

there is also a condenser under the hood that holds a small amount of power like a mini battery.

trx450r
you can run hids on your 05 but they power up better when you start the quad with the hid lights off so the condenser builds up a bit then turn the lights on.(it only takes 1 or 2 secs to feed condenser)

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
You are right about the rec/reg and the condenser - I failed to check the service manual before I answered and based my answer on the fact that the 05 450R did not have a battery and how other vehicles without batteries functioned.

I have since checked the manual and find that the electrical system is hybrid. The CDI operates on AC and the rest of the system operates on DC. Basicly the 450ER replaces the condenser with a battery to power the electric starter while the basic wiring system is the same for both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i will be good to get the bulbs and ballast and run them! Sweet thak you for your guys info, I also have my fan wired up on a switch for when warming up and letting idle will that be a problem running th lights and the fan at same time just wondering thank you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.