Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyway to identify year seems the vin has been painted over. As I can’t find it, suppose to be right under front light on the frame?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just purchased what I was told is an 05 but seems the vin is painted over. Guy I purchased it from said his friend rebuilt it for him like two months ago. So I figure I hop on the forum try and fix/understand the bike.

so the clutch lever is completely limp. He tried to say its normal cause it’s automatic. Grabs pressure on reverse though.

idles once warmed up but shuts off randomly, as well as choke seems to have no affect. Have to give a little gas for a couple seconds on first turn on.

manual anywhere on here? Any how to’s or diy section??

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
I've indicated on you pic where the VIN is located - if it is painted over, sand the paint off (or use lacquer thinner to thin the coat or use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove the paint) to see the VIN and record the number (is the only way you might get it back if stolen and you do not possess the title. The engine also has a serial number, but it may not indicate the year model of the ATV (engines get swapped and replaced).

I also noticed the tires are overinflated and worn out.

Finding the VIN is the only way to identify the year model and even a partial VIN along with engine serial number will narrow it down if not definitively identify it.

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Just purchased what I was told is an 05 but seems the vin is painted over. Guy I purchased it from said his friend rebuilt it for him like two months ago. So I figure I hop on the forum try and fix/understand the bike.

so the clutch lever is completely limp. He tried to say its normal cause it’s automatic. Grabs pressure on reverse though.

idles once warmed up but shuts off randomly, as well as choke seems to have no affect. Have to give a little gas for a couple seconds on first turn on.

manual anywhere on here? Any how to’s or diy section??
There is no clutch lever - it has 3 clutches; a centrifugal clutch that is activated by engine speed, a sprag clutch inside the centrifugal clutch to provide engine braking and the ability to push start (but it will free wheel backwards when in a forward gear - in reverse it will turn the engine forward if the ATV is pushed backwards) and a multi-plate manual clutch operated by the gearshift to facilitate shifting.

I can email you a manual - if you would like the PDF copy, I just need your email address. Don't publish you email address in the public forum unless you want tons of unsolicited email - send the address in a private message.

BTW - I merged your duplicate posts for less confusion and clutter.

The lever on the left side of the handle bar is the parking brake - either disconnected, not adjusted properly or worn out. The rear brake is a drum brake with two cables attached - a cable to the foot lever to operate the brake and a cable to the hand lever to set the parking brake feature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the suggestions. Definitely want to find the year in case I need to order anything

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Although the VIN is not valid - if the digit in the 10th position is a 4, its a 2004 model

I propose the VIN is actually 478TE270G44307387 ID'ing it as a 2004 TRX250EX

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Well - the air box is the same for the following models:
The crankcase was the same for these models:
But.......... The carburetor was the same for these models:
So availability and years covered varies greatly depending on the part in question

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
The carb is specific for 01 to 05 - anytime the intake or exhaust are changed, re-jetting may be required - for just a slip on, up the main jet to a 100 - depending on the air filter selected the main jet may need bumped to a 105 but the idle typically only needs the position of the fuel screw adjusted and no change to the slide needle is typically needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts