Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TRX does not seem to want to idle when it is first started. I have to give it a little throttle while starting, which I never had to do before since it is EFI. After it warms up it seems to be fine. I changed the plug, which seemed to help a touch, but is not the problem. I had a similar problem with a carb on a different machine, and the mechanics that worked on it cleaned the lifters and the cams. There was a compression problem due to dirt getting through the filter. Could this be a similar problem? Any ideas of where to start would be appreciated.

It was a normal four wheeling weekend over the 4th of July. On the second day of the trip, the problem popped up. Nothing unusual about the ride. Dusty as usual on the trails.

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
The mechanics that worked on your other machine took you for a ride.

Now, you have not provided enough details to diagnose the problem and EFI is not as simple as a carb. The first suspect is valve clearance. Since the problem happened after a dusty ride, I'm going to guess that dirt migrated into the intake due to a poorly seated air filter, a faulty air filter or other cause that you failed to mention - like running with the air box lid off, K&N filter - if tight valves is not the problem, then I would look at fuel (less than 93 octane) or a possible faulty fuel pump (likely damaged by alcohol blended fuel)

Let us know what it boils down to when you find out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The air filter is seated securely. What is a K&N filter? Is there a simple test to check the valves? I have done most of the mechanical work on my machines throughout the years, but I have never torn open an engine before. I like learning and doing my own work when possible.

Nothing special happened on this ride. It was no different then any of the other rides I have had my machines on nor would I ever run a machine with the air box lid off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts