Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got a 97 Honda 300EX that was sitting for a while. Put in a new battery, carb rebuilt kit, new air filter and had it running a little over a month ago. Went to start it today and nothing.

Messed around with starting fluid, drained the tank thinking it was the gas and was able to get it to run on the choke. As soon as I take the choke off it dies.

I've tried messing around with the pilot mixture screw but I'm at almost 3 turns out. I can't seem to get it to start off of choke, so I choke it, get it running and then flip the choke off and it dies. Overall quad has fairly low hours for it's life, sat for quite some time.

Any thoughts? I'm getting good spark and with the new filter it has to be something with the carb.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured it out...the pilot jet (not the mixture screw) was plugged, even after I just rebuilt the carb...just another reminder of how quickly gas goes bad.

Cleaned the pilot jet with some carb cleaner, blew some air threw it, put it back in and it idels beautifully again.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Congratulations! Another possibility would have been a vacuum leak. Either way it boils down to not enough fuel mixed with the air going to the combustion chamber. And yes, our gas (especially when mixed with alcohol) can go bad in as little as 30 days. Japan does not have alcohol in their gas.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Stabilizer is OK, but better yet, drain the carb when storing. I always go a step futher; after draining the carb, I attempt to start the engine assuring that all the fuel has been sucked out of the jets and passages and then I leave the drain open. For long term storage; drain the fuel tank and for metal tanks I srpay fogging oil in to prevent rusting. Then spray fogging oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and replace the spark plug. Finally; cap the intake and the exhaust to prevent moisture laden atmospheric air from getting into the combustion chamber and also keeping insects and rodents from getting in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Stabilizer is OK, but better yet, drain the carb when storing. I always go a step futher; after draining the carb, I attempt to start the engine assuring that all the fuel has been sucked out of the jets and passages and then I leave the drain open. For long term storage; drain the fuel tank and for metal tanks I srpay fogging oil in to prevent rusting. Then spray fogging oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and replace the spark plug. Finally; cap the intake and the exhaust to prevent moisture laden atmospheric air from getting into the combustion chamber and also keeping insects and rodents from getting in.
I Totally agree! For long term storage your suggestions are the way to go!
I'm talk'in 'stort term' and I should have made myself clearer.
The ethenal laiden fuel we get now just sucks. When I fill my gas cans I add a fuel stabilizer to help keep from having problems later. Even the lawn mower gas gets a shot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.