Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help or advice for my four wheeler. It is a 2004 and just recently it would not start (even with the pull cord). I first replaced the starter solenoid and it did not work. All I heard was a click back by the battery. I then took a rubber mallet and gave the starter a few good taps. After doing this, the four wheeler would turn over but would not start. I decided to order a new starter and put that in today. It was tough getting the old one out, but I finally got the new one in. Go to start it, and it turns over great now but does not fire. I took my battery out a let it sit on the trickle charger the better part of today and that didn't help.

I noticed I am getting a lot of gas coming out of the overflow hose of the carb. Don't know if a bunch of gas was sloshed around when struggling with the old starter? Wondering if the carb is flooded? I am at a stand still here and any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Cowboy

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
Although you did not specify which model TRX350 Rancher you have, I looked at the wiring for a TRX350TM (there is also TE, FE & FM models) - the ignition of the TM is of a DC CDI design. This just means that a good battery is necessary to have spark.

Now, without the history, this is pure guess work. Are we to presume the engine was run routinely and regularly and this is a recent problem?

Let's start with the basics; using a new spark plug, do you have spark? If not, first check the handlebar switch to assure it's in the run position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey this is a old thread but here to help seems like he knows what he's talking about so figured I would ask about mine:)it's a 86 Honda fourtrax and my kick start thingy went out it's just stiff and I can't kick it so I rebuilt my starter and now I got smoke coming from top where I bolt it down?not sure about atvs it's my first time really working on one of these?

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
Hey this is a old thread but here to help seems like he knows what he's talking about so figured I would ask about mine:)it's a 86 Honda fourtrax and my kick start thingy went out it's just stiff and I can't kick it so I rebuilt my starter and now I got smoke coming from top where I bolt it down?not sure about atvs it's my first time really working on one of these?
Welcome to the forum

So you rebuilt the starter motor and you got smoke coming out of where?
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive exterior Font

If the smoke is coming out of the starter motor, the motor needs to be replaced.

If the smoke is coming out of somewhere else, got a pic of where it's coming from?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts