Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello friends from Portugal ...
I'm new here and I come to ask for your help ...
my trx 400ex 2001 has a problem that every time you step in the water she chokes up, I replace the electrical installation and the problem continues ...
what could this be?

sorry if it was not here that should have put the post
excuse my English :)´

My bike

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is one fancy bike there. looks really nice. You need to figure out what system the water is affecting - fuel or electrical.

The fuel problems could be water getting in through the air cleaner or small leaks in/around the carb, if you are really diving into deep water.

The more obvious problem is electrical. You have water grounding out the components somwhere. Start with checking the plug wire for cracks and also how well the boot fits the plug to seal it. The check your coil and other components for open wiring. You should be able to drive through water without problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hello friend
I've checked everything on the electrical system and isolated all ...
I bought a new installation and the problem continues ...
I do not step in deep water only in small ponds with water

is there any way to isolate the filter box?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
First thing to do is determine if you are losing spark. See if you can get it to die by letting it idle and spraying water on components (spark plug, coil, cdi box, stator to wiring harness connector, etc.)

Believe it or not, water is an insulator (made of hydrogen and oxygen - neither conducts electricity). Sometimes water gets into a connector and causes a poor connection and the spark goes away. You might need to tighten the connector pins and use Petroleum jelly or die-electric grease to seal out the water.

By the way - although water is an insulator, mix a little salt or other compound with it and it will conduct very well. Pond water is mixed with sodium, potassium, phosphate and virtually hundreds of other minerals that will conduct electricity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.