Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 2005 400ex and have an idea running through my head of wiring up a horn. Not sure exactly how I would go about doing it, not to great on electrical stuff but any advice would be great

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing too, I've been wanting to replace the four chain tightening bolts that are on the back of the swing arm to maybe a bolt or something that would be easier to loosen and tighten but cant find anything that would work. Could i just go to a hardware store and get bolts with same threads and depth?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Horn is easy - tie into the black wire of the wiring harness near the ignition switch coupler with an inline fuse - connect the fused lead to one of the horn terminals - get a Honda style (or other) one wire kill switch - mount the switch in a convenient location on the handlebar - run the wire from the switch to the other terminal on the horn - when the ignition switch is on, the horn will sound when the button is pressed

Honda used allen bolts in the swingarm and included an allen wrench in the tool kit - the allen wrench was for turning the bearing carrier and an allen bolt tightens the clamp sufficiently without risk of stripping the threads out of the swingarm - a well stocked hardware store might have replacement allen (or hex head) 8 x 1.25mm bolts that you can use

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would the wiring harness for my ignition switch be different since I have no key for my 400ex. I have a on/off switch mounted on the frame under the front plastics. Was like that when I bought it

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
There you go - complicating things.

Look at the back side of the switch and see if it has a red wire and a black wire going to it - the red wire is positive from the battery, the black wire becomes hot when the switch is on - you want to connect to the "switch hot" wire

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing can ever be easy ;) I was thinking of buying a new key and ignition switch harness and everything so nobody can just hop on and ride my quad. Probably a good idea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.