Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neutral light stays on all the time on my 1988 300 fourtrax. It will start in or out of gear. Have removed the cover at the bottom of the case to see the switch. Do the wire plugs just pull off? How do you remove and reinstall the switch itself? Does it require a special tool? Thnxs

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The wires just pull straight off (towards you) - the neutral switch is the one with the light green wire on it - switch can be removed with a standard metric socket

The neutral light is turned on when the light green wire connects to ground - try pulling the wire off and see if the neutral light goes out - if it stays on you have a short in your wiring

Note: the neutral and reverse switches are identical - try switching them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - Pulled wires from switches and neutral light stays on. Traced wires to plug near rear gas tank mount and unplugged there thinking this would eliminate short in lower wiring. Light stays on. Tried to trace wires forward to handle bars thinking if there is a short I could get it to flicker while moving wires around, light stays on solid. Any ideas or possible other checks . Thnx

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Obviously a short in the wiring - if you don't have the patience to find the short, go right to the light, cut the light green wire and the light should go out - run a new wire to the neutral switch and see if the light works correctly - if it does and you are happy, just tape the new wire to the wiring harness and go

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks , I will try the new wire method, if that works I will try to trace the short and if I can't find it I can just leave the new wire and go. Thanks A ton I will update the results when possible. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update, Have not solved problem yet. Neutral light stays on no matter what I try. Reverse light works properly but will start in reverse and any other gear. Switched wires with reverse switch to check switches. Reverse switch works properly but the neutral switch does not. Pulled bulb from neutral light thinking this would break circuit, will still start in any gear. any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was really trying not to cut a wire until I was more certain. I will try to cut the Green/red stripe wire at the light. That should make the light go out, I pulled to bulb out which I thought would cause a no start but I guess a burn out bulb would not cause a no start. Should it start with this wire cut or is the another circuit to cause that? What causes the no start in neutral? Is the neutral switch a normally closed or open when in neutral? I did not pull the switches out to switch them yet as I think the reverse switch works properly and the neutral switch does not. In testing I can get the reverse switch to turn reverse light on and off but when using the reverse light wie on the neutral switch in would not turn the reverse light on or off if in neutral or not so that makes me think the neutral switch is not working properly but the neutral light never goes out no matter what. Sorry for all the rambling and questions, I'm just not real good with electrical stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried
switching the wires at the switches. The reverse light when connected to the neutral switch will not come on at all no matter if in neutral or not. The neutral light still stays on all the time when connect to reverse switch. Will still start anytime in any gear forward or reverse. Even with wiring disconnected at the seat the neutral light stays on.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
As far as I can tell, there is no neutral safety switch - it has a gear indicator switch which completes the circuit to ground to turn on the neutral or reverse light.

According to the wiring diagram, the Canada model has LED indicators - any chance the battery is connected reverse polarity?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.