Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody thank you to everyone who created this forum it has been a work in progress for me but all of you have helped me learn more and fix my bike over the years, Hello I am Keith I own or it feels like sometimes she owns me a 2001 Honda fourtrax 350 rancher I love the bike she was handed down to me by my grandfather and it’s been my baby but one day I took her out in winter and flipped her hard at 50km hour been working on it a bit here and their but she hasn’t seen a trail for 3 years at least I just got a battery in it and new ignition ( I hide the key in such a safe spot I couldn’t even find it :) ) I know I need a new meter assembly but I think the issue isn’t the meter I’m facing I have the neutral light reverse light and oil temperature light all on while the bike is running and it seems to be getting hotter then I remember on just short 2 minute idles when I was testing the battery and if she’d even turn over aswell I can’t seem to get her to shift into reverse could this be because my brakes are so soft it’s almost like theirs no pressure I’ve got some work ahead of me I know aha.. any help would be appreciated on the lights and reverse aswell I was wondering if replacing the body plastic and brakes and brake lines was a difficult job should I bring it to a shop to get this done I don’t have a shed or garage to do the work but I’ve been doing everything I can on my yard. Thank you for your time and apologies for the long article aswell with being grammatical night mare to read ahah

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the screen where it reads the gear or speed it doesn’t show much half of a 0 or N it will shift through the gears but typically last night electrical shifting wouldn’t work till the bike wasn’t running but key was on but it was only in forward gears

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
OK thank you for clarifying that you have a TRX350TE or FE - shifting is the same for both.

To start with, can you shift it manually with the emergency shifter that is included in the tool kit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
( I call my bike she/ her) I could but I should mention I’ve been using a adjustable crescent wrench im missing a couple of the tools that came with her works the same just a bit more messing around she aswell seems really jumpy when shifting when I went into first gear it must’ve moved 6” forward ran over my foot but I seen the suspension lift from the torque off the hope hood sign I was hoping

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
If it is moving when shifting into gear, the idle is too high and the centrifugal clutch is engaged or the centrifugal clutch has a broken spring and is engaging at idle and at the same time the manual clutch needs needs to be adjusted - when the shifter is moved to select a gear, it releases the manual clutch - as long as the shift lever is held, the clutch is in release and it should not move until the lever is released (with a manual shifter you can utilize this technique to apply the manual clutch gradually and feed the power to the wheels the same as a hand operated clutch.

Check the reverse switch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you I’ve managed to replace the angle sensor as well removing my Speedo meter it was water loged and fried the mother board and all the other parts my rear frame where the rear axle bolt fell out on my while driving I put it back for it to fall out I had my finger in their with a bunch of ball bearings are rolling around any idea what that is and how to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
You are missing the swing arm pivot bolt, lock nut and cap

I can't tell from the pic if the threads in the frame are still there or not

If the threads are there, then it can be fixed easily, but I suggest you replace the pivot bearings also - if the threads are gone from the frame, then you will need a new frame or the threads repaired.

Parts needed (in US dollars)
2​
52112-MA1-300
HOLDER
6.51​
13.02​
1​
90121-HM5-930
BOLT A, PIVOT
8.95​
8.95​
1​
90312-HM5-670
CAP, LOCK NUT
11.38​
11.38​
1​
90355-469-000
NUT
15.66​
15.66​
2​
91066-HC4-004
BEARING (7203)
33.36​
66.72​
2​
91268-HN0-A01
DUST SEAL (26X40X5)
5.25​
10.50​
SubTotal​
126.23​

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are missing the swing arm pivot bolt, lock nut and cap

I can't tell from the pic if the threads in the frame are still there or not

If the threads are there, then it can be fixed easily, but I suggest you replace the pivot bearings also - if the threads are gone from the frame, then you will need a new frame or the threads repaired.

Parts needed (in US dollars)
2​
52112-MA1-300
HOLDER
6.51​
13.02​
1​
90121-HM5-930
BOLT A, PIVOT
8.95​
8.95​
1​
90312-HM5-670
CAP, LOCK NUT
11.38​
11.38​
1​
90355-469-000
NUT
15.66​
15.66​
2​
91066-HC4-004
BEARING (7203)
33.36​
66.72​
2​
91268-HN0-A01
DUST SEAL (26X40X5)
5.25​
10.50​
SubTotal​
126.23​

View attachment 4749

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you very much 🙌🏻 I will be working on this very soon I believe the threads were their but I couldn’t get the bolt to thread in is their some sort of special tool for this ?

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
thank you very much 🙌🏻 I will be working on this very soon I believe the threads were their but I couldn’t get the bolt to thread in is their some sort of special tool for this ?
Just a large Allen socket (about 17mm, but could be larger or smaller) and the special tool for torquing the lock nut (Honda part number 07908-4690003)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this part fairly easily replaced by someone little less then experienced but whiling I don’t have professional tools press or lift but have determination my buddies have been trying to get me to drop it off at a repair shop but I don’t wanna pay someone for something I can do

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
I run a shop and my assessment from the pics would be to take it to a shop with the tools to do the job and have it done right or at least if it's fixable - my guess someone with less experience is responsible for what happened. Even experienced mechanics with the proper tools can screw up, but the less experienced are more prone to screwing up. A mechanic friend of mine gave up on fixing a carb and brought it to me - the only problem with it was this:

He failed to tighten the main jet and it fell out of the needle jet - it acted like is was not getting fuel, but was actually getting too much - if it does not get enough, it dies as you open the throttle, but starts right back up and idles fine - when it gets too much, it is hard to start, but when it does it will only idle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that actually brings me to a great point after my speedometer caught fire I unplugged it and drove the bike the pivot bearing fell out one side and the bike dies off but if I put it back in or if it’s straight it works fine what causes this ?

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Now that actually brings me to a great point after my speedometer caught fire I unplugged it and drove the bike the pivot bearing fell out one side and the bike dies off but if I put it back in or if it’s straight it works fine what causes this ?
I can't explain that without examining the vehicle - pinched wire, loss of ground, binding of the u-joint between the engine and swing arm? There is a myriad of possibilities.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome thank you so very much for all of your help sir I’ll be bringing the bike into a local shop Monday and get it quoted do you know of somewheres I’d be able to get a speedometer for a good price Honda wants 450 for one but I think that’s a bit out expensive can you ride without one?

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
The meter is NLA from Honda - how much deductible do you have on your insurance?

Part number 37200-HN5-A12 was $454.55 the last time it was available - if there is a shop near you that has one, get it or look for a used one on Ebay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is that right ok my Honda dealership was able to get everything but it was gonna cost me 3k with plastic fenders included I think I found one on eBay for 254

1 - 20 of 20 Posts