Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what grind it is. Pretty weird im used to "hot cam" stamp.

On mine only thing i see is 2 letter / number in a circle, right in the midle of the cam between the lob. it says SS or S3. its a casting, not laser graved.

as anyone ever seen this ? i would says its a hotcam. but all hot cam i seen had "hot cam " label at the end.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
55 Posts
More then likely it is a Stock Cam if it's a "Casted" texture because most After Market Cams cased marks are polished up nicely 'Most of the time"

And yes you;re right Hot Cams almost always Laser Ingrave their name into them.

A custom ground Camshaft most of the time if you get a Custom Grind they put a Certified Number on the cam somewhere and that number will be a Number the Company "who ever did it" usually is the Grind Number they can access if you call who ever ground it they can tell you. "If you can figure out who ground the cam" you just tell the the Numbers you see and they should know.

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Hard to say - only the person that installed it knows for sure

HotCams are typically billet cams (start with a stock shape, round or square) machined to a finished product

Other manufacturers start with a stock cam (cast) and re-machine to reduce the base circle effectively making a "high lift" cam. Or, they may hardweld a stock cam and machine a new cam from the welded profile.

I have an unidentified cam in a 450R. The cam had been used before I got it and the guy I got it from asked a shop install a HotCam, but the shop failed to tell him what "stage" cam they installed. The receipt from the shop didn't divulge the information, because the shop used proprietary inventory numbering and the shop is out of business.

The marks on the cam were laser etched into one of the lobes. The mark is WW-HCFD NO:16 - I have never seen a cam marked in this fashion and it is a billet cam. Does not appear to be a MegaCycle or WebCam camshaft.

Anybody got any ideas about who's product it might be?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.