Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brought home the father-in-laws 1988 TRX 300 2x4 as it would not run. As I was trying to figure out what was up, I did the usual pull the plug and see if I had fire by kick starting because the battery was DOA. No fire, though it had been running the last time he rode. Just for kicks, I hooked up a jump pack to the battery and attempted to turn it over. I was encouraged when the lights came on and I got a clicking sound coming from the starter solenoid. I then took off the coil, cleaned it, cut the wire back a bit, and reinstalled the plug boot. I replaced the POS champion spark plug with the correct NGK. I then cleaned the two 15A bottle fuses and their holders. I took off the carb, knowing it was a mess and cleaned it. I put it all back together and checked for spark. Not surprisingly, no spark. However, what did surprise me was that when I hooked up the jump pack, I am no longer getting headlights or a click when I push the electric start button. As far as the no spark, I'm sure I'll have to get a new CDI. However, if it is not getting juice along with the rest of the electrical system going up to and including the headlights, then a new CDI will not really help, unless the headlights go through the CDI. I did bang on it a bit as was suggested in some of the forums. Perhaps this did more harm than good. Any suggestions, recommendations, or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Hey there - my name is Steve - I'll try to guide you through this

First - the vehicle has an electrically excited CDI and needs a good source of 12vdc to run - that means you got to have power to other things before you get spark

So - from the battery you go through the fuse on the red wire (don't bother with the fuse with the in the pink/white wire) - power goes to the main switch and when the switch is on the black wire is the hot wire - the black wire goes to starter button, the kill switch and the light switch. If you get lights and a click when you push the starter button you are half way to fixing it

At the handlebar kill switch you have to get power to the black/white wire - the B/W wire turns into a blue/white wire at the wiring harness connector and it (the Blue/White wire) goes to the CDI unit - so check for power on the blue/white wire at the CDI unit - if no power, trace the circuit to find out why

If you have power on the blue /white wire, then you need a neutral light - if no neutral light, then you need the clutch switch closed (pull in the clutch lever) or the starter will not spin - if the starter spins, then look for spark - if no spark, then the CDI unit, coil or the pulse generator is bad - coils don't go bad very often - CDI units and pulse generators are about 50/50 (the pulse generator is part of the alternator)

Make sure you have power on the black wires & the blue/white wire at the CDI
Make sure you have a good ground on the dark green wire at the CDI unit
Check for AC voltage (no specific amount, just an output) on the Blue/Yellow wire at the CDI unit (meter set on ACV and engine cranking)
Check for AC voltage (no specific amount, just an output) on the Yellow/White wire at the CDI unit (meter set on ACV and engine cranking)
Check for 12 VDC on the Green/RED wire at the CDI unit
The signal to fire the coil is on the Black/Yellow wire at the CDI unit and cannot be measured, but you need a good ground on the green wire at the coil

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,
Just wanted to thank you for the game plan. I very much appreciate the specifics. I'll keep you posted, but it will likely be in the weekend prior to being able to disassemble the machine to a point where I can trace the wires that you have so diligently detailed. One question, I have been attempting to check the bike by placing the jumper cables on the apparently DEAD battery. I'm wondering if I should disconnect the battery and hook up the jumper cables directly to the disconnected ends of the battery cables. What would be your suggestion?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
If the battery is completely dead, it should make no difference if it is in or not, but if the battery is just extremely low, use caution - a small battery can be charged with a larger battery, but there no charge rate regulation - the smaller battery can charge too quickly and either be damaged or blow up. If using jumper cables connected to a car battery, it is best to disconnect the quad's battery and just connect directly to the wire terminals. Also. if jumping from a car battery - do not have the car's engine running - just the battery is sufficient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.