Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, i havent posted for a while. I recently just bought a 2013 TRX250X with maybe 50 hours on it. The guy sold it to get a utility quad. It is completely stock and almost new. I just received my HMF Performance series FULL exhuast, UNI-FILTER, and Dynojet kit in the mail i bought for it that im installing. I plan on keeping the airbox lid on. I live in Alberta (760m Elevation). Just wondering what jet you guys would recommend. The kit came with a needle and what appears to be a tool for the fuel mixture screw.

·
Vendor
29 Posts
Hey everybody, i havent posted for a while. I recently just bought a 2013 TRX250X with maybe 50 hours on it. The guy sold it to get a utility quad. It is completely stock and almost new. I just received my HMF Performance series FULL exhuast, UNI-FILTER, and Dynojet kit in the mail i bought for it that im installing. I plan on keeping the airbox lid on. I live in Alberta (760m Elevation). Just wondering what jet you guys would recommend. The kit came with a needle and what appears to be a tool for the fuel mixture screw.
The instructions manual for the kit says which jets to use and where the washer on the needle should be - (below 3000 feet in your case): https://www.powersportsid.com/images/dynojet-research/items/pdf/q119-instructions-noindex.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Powersportsid thanks for the reply. I got the main changed out to a 110, needle clip on the 4th position, fuel screw turned out 2 1/2 turns from seated. I took it for a rip today (temperature +2degrees celcious). It starts and runs great. I did notice when im running a WOT for a while it cuts out every now and than, like it has a hiccup. When im running at WOT and let off the throttle about 1/4 or so it really cuts out. I dont really notice it backfiring at all, maybe a little. How do i tell if the top end is too lean or rich? Thanks for the help. I cant find it anywhere else except the forums.

·
Vendor
29 Posts
Powersportsid thanks for the reply. I got the main changed out to a 110, needle clip on the 4th position, fuel screw turned out 2 1/2 turns from seated. I took it for a rip today (temperature +2degrees celcious). It starts and runs great. I did notice when im running a WOT for a while it cuts out every now and than, like it has a hiccup. When im running at WOT and let off the throttle about 1/4 or so it really cuts out. I dont really notice it backfiring at all, maybe a little. How do i tell if the top end is too lean or rich? Thanks for the help. I cant find it anywhere else except the forums.
Looks like you're running a little lean. Check the spark plug. If it is whitish, then it's definitely lean - need to lower the jet needle clip position (1 groove down).
If the plug is black with soot, then the mixture is rich - move the needle clip 1 groove up.
And if the spark plug has a tan color, then it's all right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you're running a little lean. Check the spark plug. If it is whitish, then it's definitely lean - need to lower the jet needle clip position (1 groove down).
If the plug is black with soot, then the mixture is rich - move the needle clip 1 groove up.
And if the spark plug has a tan color, then it's all right.
Ok thanks, i will do that and see how it goes. Thanks again for the help. Do these machines tend to run leaner in winter and richer in summer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay got it tuned in pretty good i think. Dropped to a 106 main and came up a groove on the needle, It was running a bit rich and plug showed it. Runs perfect now, no sputtering or nothing. It does pop a fair bit on decel, is that normal with an aftermarket full pipe?

·
Vendor
29 Posts
Do these machines tend to run leaner in winter and richer in summer?
Yes to a some degree, because the cold air is denser (more oxygen). But usually, the effect is noticeable in extreme cases.
Okay got it tuned in pretty good i think. Dropped to a 106 main and came up a groove on the needle, It was running a bit rich and plug showed it. Runs perfect now, no sputtering or nothing. It does pop a fair bit on decel, is that normal with an aftermarket full pipe?
Popping on deceleration is caused by unburnt fuel being ignited in the exhaust. Make sure that the pipe has no leaks.
And great job on tuning the carb :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts