Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to 4 wheelers. Got a used Honda TRX200. It runs very well, but seems to be cold natured. If it is cold outside then it is hard to start. Battery is dead. The prior owner never changed out the battery and never used the electric starter. It starts with the pull rope. I would like to get the electric starter going. And yes I am going to get a new battery. Any tips will be appreciated.

The gear shifter on the left side changes gears by pushing down in this sequence; N,1,2,3,4,5 then the opposite by lifting up. Motorcycles are the opposite. Is this right or has my Honda been modified in some way?

The master cylinder for the front brakes does not work. The diaphragm in the front of it looks corroded. Do I put in a new diaphragm or install a new master cylinder?

Thank you and God bless

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am new to 4 wheelers. Got a used Honda TRX200. It runs very well, but seems to be cold natured. If it is cold outside then it is hard to start. Battery is dead. The prior owner never changed out the battery and never used the electric starter. It starts with the pull rope. I would like to get the electric starter going. And yes I am going to get a new battery. Any tips will be appreciated.

The gear shifter on the left side changes gears by pushing down in this sequence; N,1,2,3,4,5 then the opposite by lifting up. Motorcycles are the opposite. Is this right or has my Honda been modified in some way?

The master cylinder for the front brakes does not work. The diaphragm in the front of it looks corroded. Do I put in a new diaphragm or install a new master cylinder?

Thank you and God bless
With a new battery and the starter working properly, then it should be easier starting when cold. If not, then I would look into doing a carb cleaning, air cleaner, new spark plug etc. Maybe even check the valve clearances.

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
The first year for a TRX200 was 1984 - VIN will be JH3TE030*EC000001~ (the * is the check digit and will be different based on the production sequence - the ~ indicates production sequence units above 000001) - the TRX200 (with no suffix) was only produced in 1984 - it used the same engine as the ATC200 and the shift pattern was all down with neutral at the top, so the shift pattern is normal - it also has a sub-transmission and can be shifted from a high range to a low range. There was no TRX200 in 1985 and in 1986 it became the TRX200SX.

I have an owners manual for the 200SX in PDF that I can email you. Just private message me a email address.

Yes, starting may be a bit easier with the electric starter, but starting is a lot in procedure and quality of fuel. You should be using 91 to 93 octane gasoline without ethanol. If the carb is working properly and has not been 'modified' for higher performance, the procedure that usually works best is no throttle and full choke - crank engine and as soon as it starts, open the choke slightly and feather the choke and throttle as necessary to keep the engine running until it will idle without choke or throttle feathering. Also, it will start easier if the valves are properly adjusted and the compression is at a normal value. A new spark plug can aide cold starting too.

The brakes probably only need fluid and bled as long as the master cylinder piston moves in and out freely and fully - the diaphragm is probably just the bellows that goes under the cap to seal air from getting into the MC reservoir - as long as it is pliable, not distorted or perforated, it can be cleaned with water, dried and reinstalled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your help. I didn't know how to edit my 1st post so I replied that I realized I made a typo. My Honda TRX200 is not an '86, but it IS an 1984.

I already have a digital copy of the operator's manual and repair manual, thank you.

This 4 wheeler is the quietest I have ever heard. So when it starts, it is hard to realize it at first. It is hard to hear if it is getting a spark.

My son was riding with it the other day and it just flat out died. He swore he did not accidentally touch the engine cut-off switch on the left bar. I still can't get it to start again.

The engine cut-off switch is in the middle, the key is on start, I have not touched the throttle, and I use the decompressor flap, the gear is in neutral, and I pull on the rope. I keep repeating and repeating and nothing happens. Grrrrr

I pulled the seat off. There is a bundle of red wires tied together. I know someone has rewired something themselves (i.e. headlight, taillight, etc). One of the wires was broke. So I reconnected it via heatshrink crimper. I unbundled the wires and noticed something VERY odd. One of the other red wires goes from the positive terminal of the dead battery to the negative terminal. No wonder the battery is dead. That must be something to bypass something. It is a wonder it was running before.

The carberator was overhauled by the prior owners mechanic.

I may just have to do a rewiring of this 4 wheeler. Oh joy.

Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts