Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The decompression cable is broken so its the devil to kick start, exactly what does that cable have to do with starting???

The starter will spin but free spins, all the gears are in it and i cant see any visable problems but it will not start with the electric starter. It kinda acts like a bindix on a car that doesnt throw out to catch the fly wheel. :confused: any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The decompression cable works off a cam on the kick starter to pull the decompressor arm on the cylinder head cover which opens the exhaust valve a fraction to lower compression on the FIRST compression stroke. This allows the crankshaft to build momentum making it easier to kick through the second compression stroke.

If the starter spins free and does not turn the engine, then the starter clutch is bad and needs replaced. It is similar to a bendix, but it stays engaged all the time. It consists of 3 parts (28110-HA7-770, 28126-HA7-673 and 28126-HA7-672) that cost about $320. It is on the back of the flywheel. It can be replaced without pulling the motor. You will need a flywheel puller, LH engine cover gasket and (for my money) new (motorcycle grade) oil, an oil filter and 6 new bolts (90010-HA0-680) that holds the part onto the flywheel. You should be able to get a qualified shop to do it all for about $450 to $500.

The most common cause of the starter clutch going bad is not using the right oil and/or running with dirty oil (not changing the oil frequently enough).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The decompression cable works off a cam on the kick starter to pull the decompressor arm on the cylinder head cover which opens the exhaust valve a fraction to lower compression on the FIRST compression stroke. This allows the crankshaft to build momentum making it easier to kick through the second compression stroke.

If the starter spins free and does not turn the engine, then the starter clutch is bad and needs replaced. It is similar to a bendix, but it stays engaged all the time. It consists of 3 parts (28110-HA7-770, 28126-HA7-673 and 28126-HA7-672) that cost about $320. It is on the back of the flywheel. It can be replaced without pulling the motor. You will need a flywheel puller, LH engine cover gasket and (for my money) new (motorcycle grade) oil, an oil filter and 6 new bolts (90010-HA0-680) that holds the part onto the flywheel. You should be able to get a qualified shop to do it all for about $450 to $500.

The most common cause of the starter clutch going bad is not using the right oil and/or running with dirty oil (not changing the oil frequently enough).

OK, let me ask this.....
on the kick start, why am i not getting compression on every kick? it takes several tries before it will catch and turn the motor over. its looking like the clutch for the starter is gonna have to wait for that amount of $'s

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Sounds like the kick ratchet is not catching. Need to have the clutch cover removed and the parts inspected. Typically two parts need to be replaced - the kick ratchet and the kick pinion gear - unfortunately, neither is available. When they were they cost $130 for the pair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know if this is the same problem, but I just rebuilt my starter motor. I haven't been able to electric start in a couple of years, so I've just been kicking. It starts on the first kick every time. Since I've installed the rebuilt starter, when I press the start button, it goes to turn over, then starts to kind of hum, like something is in a bind. If anyone can tell me where to start checking, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
I still say you starter drive is bad. The starter motor is just a motor. The starter drive is a bendix. The drive tries to catch, then releases and the motor just spins or the battery is weak, the drive engages and the motor just hums because there's not enough juice in the battery to run the motor. If the kick ratchet is bad, you need two parts to fix it and one of the two is no longer available. You might want to start looking for a different quad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.