Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats happening everyone, I'm from San Diego CA. I own a 2008 TRX 400ex. Cosmetically I have a Blingstar iron cross bumper, Renthal Handlebars, Spyder girps, ASV clutch, and break levers, Tusk nerf bars powder coated red with black webbing, ITP Sandstar tires, and skin red and black flame shock covers. Performance wise I have an HMF performance pipe powder coated red and black, K&N cold air intake and power lid, Curtis sparks 6 degree timing advance key, 168 main jet, stock pilot (no lag in throttle response), and a needle from an 01 trx 400 ex set to the highest 3rd notch, because the 08's needle isn't adjustable. I run a 50/50 mix of 93/104 octane, because of the timing advance key. She's purdy quick, and there is no better place in the world to turn a REX loose than the Cali dunes. I was wanting to know if anyone else is as happy with the Curtis Sparks timing advance key as I am. For the cash it's totally worth it. I'm holding on to the stock key, just in case I decide to bore it out. I have heard the big bore bikes run super hot with that ignition advance key. Curtis sparks doesn't even recommend using it with big bores.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have no experience with Curtis Sparks, so can't offer my opinion there but welcome to the forums! We're headed to your great state tomorrow evening to fling sand at Dumont.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just curious, but what is it that you have noticed with the advancing key? Like what do you feel it has changed or done for you to be happy with it? Not ragging on em at all just little interested in possibly getting one. Nice choice on the bike to!!! I got the same one!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed that the throttle response is immediate. It eliminates some of the cold popping and bogging that it used to do too. If you are looking into getting one, make sure you have an impact wrench, that fly wheel can be a pain in the culo. Hold on to the stock key just in case, you will be surprised by the small cosmetic difference between the two, but it is totally noticeable in the throttle response and low end. You get a nifty fly wheel puller that comes with the Curtis Sparks Key too. Let me know what you think when you get it..

Thanks to everyone for the Warm Welcome...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts