Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '05 400EX. A friend who rides Kawaspankme's told me to get a 'Engine Case Saver'.
This is a guard that protects the super expensive and hard to replace Engine case in the event the bike spits the chain off.
The 05' TRX400EX already has one on from the factory.
However, when I looked on ebay I found a bunch of billet case savers for the Honda.
So my question is, 'How good is the 'stock' Honda case saver'?
Should I invest in more insurance (billit) to protect the engine?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
The "case Saver" is not a case saver - it is a chain guide.

At high speed, the chain rides to the top of the teeth on the sprocket due to centrifugal force. The "guide" is narrow enough to ride on the rollers of the chain keeping the chain from coming off the sprocket. If the sprocket is the recommended size, the chain is in good condition and properly adjusted, the guide does nothing, it's just there. The purpose of the guide is just to keep the chain lined up on the sprocket. If the chain is not maintained and breaks, it is just a hope and a prayer that the guide will prevent case damage.

The after market case savers are wider and beefier. The chances they will prevent case damage if the chain breaks is questionable. The greatest advantage to the billet products is - if you downsized the front sprocket (like I did) the wider saver will now keep the chain on the sprocket from the chain side plates contacting the saver instead of the chain rollers.

I have worked on engines with both stock and aftermarket "case savers". The damage done from a broken chain is about the same in both cases. Moral to the story; maintain proper chain adjustment and replace the chain and sprockets at the first measurable indication of unacceptable wear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive witnessed case savers doing just that, saving the case. my 440 had a saver on it before it was rebuilt. the 440 threw the chain at high speed and it balled up on the front sprocket, the case saver kept the chain away from the case but the chain pushed the saver into the case chipping a small peice of the case where the top bolt that holds the saver on goes into. the saver did do alot to keep the case intact but it didnt save it completely. i still run the same case but there is a paice missing and i have to keep the top bolt in or oil will blow out. my friend has a 450r and i told him to buy a saver but he didnt do it. he was a foot away from the take off of a step up and his 450 threw the chain and put a fist sized hole in the case around the shift shaft.. if you have the money and you want a little insurance and piece of mind i would definately buy one. i know i will be getting another one when i get the cash together. but they are not going to save the case from anything, there is always a chance of damage even with a saver.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought and installed a 'Moose Racing' poly-saver. It is supposed to protect the case as well as the shift shaft. The down side is the sprocket cover is not used. Can't run a larger than stock front sprocket. Zero clearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.