Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the swingarm off a 450ex will fit my '01 TRX 400ex. I heard or read somewhere that the 450ex swing arm is an inch longer and will fit. What about other inexpensive options?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Sorry, it was a trick question - Honda did not make a 450EX - you will have buy a modified swing arm or extend the one you have.

Bigger question is WHY do you want a longer swing arm? It increases the turning radius and increases the leverage on the shock - you will need to have the shock re-calibrated for the increase in pressure exerted upon the shocks inner workings and the spring will need to be changed to compensate for the higher load exerted by the increased leverage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honda did not make a 450EX - you will have buy a modified swing arm or extend the one you have.
Sorry, 450r? is there a honda swingarm from any model that's 1-2 inches longer that will fit without any mods to my frame or the swingarm itself?

Bigger question is WHY do you want a longer swing arm? It increases the turning radius and increases the leverage on the shock - you will need to have the shock re-calibrated for the increase in pressure exerted upon the shocks inner workings and the spring will need to be changed to compensate for the higher load exerted by the increased leverage.
I'm not new to 4-wheelers, just to the 400ex. I bought this one to take inexperienced riders out with me (namely my daughters-in-law) when they come to visit. They are between 100 - 130lbs and the softer suspension will suit their size and riding experience. For the same reasons, I also don't mind that the front end won't lift quite as easily. I'm also going to be looking for inexpensive upgrades to the front suspension and possibly wider a-arms as I'm not crazy about the stock suspension at all.

Soooo, got any advice?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.