Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am interested in buying a 2006 TRX400ex. The owner told me it needed a new battery and rear fender. He sent me some pictures of it and it is the all black model. The tires looked fairly worn out, the exhaust looked aftermarket or tampered with (possibly he removed the spark arrestor?). The chain also looked rusted. The overall appearance was fair to good on the rest of the machine.

I have looked on the internet but I have had little luck finding information on replacement parts or what parts I would even need to buy. I'm sure you guys have some expertise in this area.

To my understanding the 400ex is a good machine overall with outstanding reliability. I will use it mainly for woods and trail riding.

So my main questions are:

What parts should be replaced on this machine to maintain its operating integrity?

Is it worth what he's asking (1200)? That seemed high to me due to the condition of it and the neccesity of repairs.

How much should I expect to pay for the repairs/parts?

I will post pictures to this thread soon so it can be seen.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
Trade in value is about $1400 in GOOD condition - from what you have described, it is in fair to poor condition.

Bottom line: can you test ride it to make sure the clutch & transmission work properly? If you can't ride it, walk away (unless you are capable of performing all the repairs yourself).

Does the owner have the title, owners manual and tool kit? They all came with the machine when it was new. Knock off $100 for each item that it doesn't have or needs replaced. Rust on the chain doesn't hurt it if it's an o-ring chain unless it's rusted to the point of being stiff. If it needs a chain, it probably needs sprockets too. Rock the machine from side to side and check for play in the swing arm pivots and rear axle bearings. If the exhaust is aftermarket, it indicates someone spent some money to try to increase performance (not bad) - if the stock exhaust has been "modified", it means someone wanted to increase performance, but didn't want to spend the money to do it right (bad). If they won't spend the money to increase performance properly, then they won't spend the money for maintenance (like oil changes). I would presume (since it needs a battery) the owner won't spend the money to have it in good enough condition to sell easily. Do the lights work, do all the cables move freely, does the parking brake work, has the air box been modified? And consider all "modifications" detract from (not enhance) a vehicles value (unless the modifications are things you would want to do to it yourself).

The machine is worth about $2400 in excellent condition. If the cost of the machine and repairs is under $2000, then it's an average buy. I would offer about $800 for it and plan to spent about $1200 (tires, battery, fender, air filter, axle bearings, chain and sprockets) to make it an average decent vehicle. If it won't run and you can't ride it, it's worth about $400.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
(untitled)

Thanks so much for your reply, Here2Help. Those are all great questions and observations I'll be sure to ask the owner.

If anyone else has pointers that Here2Help didn't hit on, please share.

Specifically:

Any other repairs Here2Help did not list? So far the repairs listed is a new chain, sprockets, bearings, pivots, clutch and tires. Also might need to check on the air filter and exhaust system etc.
I think it would be wise or at least an option to replace the air filter due to the age of the ATV.

PS. Here2Help: Did you mean purchase it for $400 if it doesn't run ($800 if it does) then spend $1200 for a total of $2000?

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
Yep - $400 for the parts (if you want to part it out) - $800 for the machine and once you have $1200 in it, it should be a pretty good looking dependable vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pictures. See if you can spot anything out I missed. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
It doesn't look too bad (but pictures can lie) - it's obviously missing the tool box and tool kit, muffler looks stock but with the spark arrester removed - too bad you didn't take a pic with the seat removed - if it starts, runs well, no unusual noise in the motor, shifts fine and all the controls operate like they should, I'd take a quick look at the condition of the rear brake pads and offer $800 and negotate from there, but I wouldn't give more than $1000 for it and that's only if the owner has the title and owners manual. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts