Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a 2001 Rancher 350 4x4 and i am trying to get the front brakes working again. The guy i got it from told me that they just need bled...
well that didn't work. So i took them apart and got the adjusters working again and adjusted them out so they where slightly rubbing on the drum. I bled them again and they work when you pump the handle, but after say 30 seconds you grab the brake lever again and there is nothing. You need to pump them a few times and then you have brakes. You can hold the lever in and the pressure won't bleed off... SO what would be the problem? Is it the wheel cylinders that need replaced ? or do i need a new master cylinder?

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
You just need to get air out of the system

The brakes can be a pain to bleed because each wheel has two slave cylinders and it's a full time 4WD

A trick I use is to pinch off the rubber line at one wheel (vice grips will work, but only clamp the line tight enough that fluid can be pumped past, but not return to the master cylinder) - jack the vehicle up so all 4 wheels are off the ground (or remove the front intermediate drive shaft and jack the front end off the ground) clamp the line at one wheel, pump the lever until the wheel on the side you are clamping the line will not turn, quit pumping the lever and wait about 20 seconds - if the wheel will turn after letting off the master cylinder, tighten the clamp slightly and try again - the trick is to clamp the line just tight enough to stop the return of fluid to the master cylinder without clamping so tight as to damage the line.

Once you have one brake locked, bleed the other brake (it helps to have a Motion Pro one way bleeder tool, a drain pan and a lot of brake fluid) - open the bleeder on the cylinder the farthest from the master cylinder and pump like crazy while keeping the reservoir full - when no more air comes out of the bleeder, hold the lever and tighten the bleeder (just snug - not like tightening bolts on a Harley) - repeat for the other wheel - let set for about an hour, turn the handlebars so the master cylinder is at it's highest point - squeeze the lever and crack the banjo bolt to let out any air trapped in the fitting.

Repeat the entire process as many times as necessary to get the brakes working satisfactorily. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bleeding issue

Hi I have exactly the same problem with a trx 350 1987 model. As soon as you let the lever go the pressure disappears. I found that after heaps of bleeding and a little pressure building up one of the front slave cylinders was leaking. Am waiting on new seals and dust covers and hopefully will be sorted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally sorted! Even with all the air out it still took three pumps to get pressure up. As soon as you let the lever go.. no pressure. No air coming out with reverse bleeding. However I had forgotten to adjust the brake pads out and then back off slightly once contacting the shoes. Problem now sorted!!:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.