Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to know what you guys think . From my understanding the mixture screw on these bike is an air screw because it is on the air box side of the carb . Being the the air side when u turne the screw out you lean the mix and in it gets richer . Am I on the right track some guys are saying its a fuel screw , I've also called it this in the past .

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
I take it to be a "fuel" screw. The factory service manual recommends turning the screw in 1/4 turn for high altitude - thus reducing the amount of fuel mixed with the thin air. The manual also recommends changing the jets for high altitude operation: main jet from a 120 to 115 and the starter jet from a 75 to a 72. The pilot jet is not to be changed, only the fuel screw adjustment. Turn the screw in (leaner for high altitude) and out (richer for low altitude). The adjustment is only 1/4 turn and requires special Honda tool 07KMA-MN90101 ($285.72 MSRP)

A note in the service manual says: "When the carburetor has been modified for high altitude operation, the air-fuel mixture will be too lean for low altitude use. Operation at altitudes below 5000 feet (1500 m) with a modified carburetor may cause the engine to overheat, resulting in serious engine damage and increased exhaust emissions. For use at low altitudes, you should return the carburetor to original factory specifications. Replace the main and starter jet with the standard jets."

Any arguments?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.