Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the problem the motor will not turn over, I am getting power and the starter is working fine , I took the cover off of the side above to the right of the case witch I believe are the gears that are connected to the starter. So when I hit the starter those gears spin but they do not do anything to the motor or turn it over. I have no idea what's going on or what to do next to figure out the prblem. If anyone has any suggestions let me Know thanks
MiTcH

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Sounds like the started drive clutch needs replaced, the flywheel is loose or the crankshaft is broken.

Caution - hitting the starter button with the cover off the reduction gears can damage the starter and/or the alternator cover.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not makeing any sort of clanking noise or anything inside the motor so I honestly dot think the crank shaft is broken but idk I could
BE wrong. How can I determan whether the flywheel is loose or if it's the starter drive clutch ?? Thanks
MiTcH

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Physical inspection is the only way to determine the problem.

If the starter motor turns normally, but the engine does not turn, the connection between the starter and the crankshaft has failed. The most common cause is the starter clutch. The starter clutch is bolted to the back of the flywheel. It freewheels constantly when the engine is running and will eventually wear out. Dirty oil accelerates the process. The flywheel has to be removed and the clutch inspected by an experienced mechanic.

In the process of removing the flywheel, the flywheel key gets inspected. If the flywheel was not properly tightened or if the engine stopped abruptly, the key may be sheared and the flywheel may spin on the crankshaft without turning the crankshaft.

In some cases, the bolts holding the clutch to the flywheel may have come loose. This will be evident as soon as the alternator cover is removed. The head of the allen bolts will be visible inside the flywheel. Put an allen socket into each bolt and try unscrewing to see if any or all are loose or broken.

Finally, the end of the crankshaft can break. If this is the case, the alternator stator will support the flywheel, but the starter clutch gear may not be engaged with the reduction gears and when the start button is pressed, everything spins freely - no noise, no resistance and no engine motion. Removing the alternator cover reveals this immediately as the rotor comes off with the cover. Magnetism holds the rotor to the stator.

Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My crank shaft is not broken. I have compression and engine cycles. Removed left side case cover starter gear and everything intcked. The gear on the crank shaft spins freely backwards is that suppose to happen??

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Yes - the gear should turn freely clockwise and lock-up counterclockwise

Since you have compression cycles, the engine is turning over - now you have to figure out what is causing it not to start. Start with a compression test - should be about 120psi or more

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a compression tester.. Or how do I go about testing the compression? And can it still be the starter drive clutch that isn't engageing to start the motor? O and by the way all the Allen head bolts that hold starter gear were still tight and holding the starter gear snug. Just figured I'd tell u that so u know what I'm working with. Thanks
MiTcH

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Yes, it can still be the clutch - turning it by hand it can or will lock-up, but with the resistance of the motor it can release and freewheel in both directions. Here's an easy test, with the alternator cover bolted to the motor (3 or 4 bolts evenly spaced around the cover will hold it), take the timing plug out of the alternator cover. With the spark in, press the starter button and watch to see if the flywheel turns. If it does, go to the compression test. Take it to someone with a compression gauge or maybe rent one from Autozone.

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Yes, put a spark plug in and try spinning the motor over. Make sure the battery is fully charged or use jumper cables to another battery. Watch the flywheel through the timing hole. When you use the starter, if the engine turns smoothly, then the clutch is good - if the flywheel seems to hesitate and there is noise each time it hesitates, then the clutch is probably bad. An experienced mechanic can tell you just by listening to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I put it all back together and pushed the starter button the starter clutch did not spin at all I looked threw the trimming whole and nothing inside there was spinning when I hit the starter button. Could that mean my starter clutch is junk and needs to be replaced or could it still possibly be something else ??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also if I could pop start it and get it to run and drive and everything would that determan that it is deffinetly the starter clutch ? ( I haven't tryed to pop start it yet but it was something me and a buddie of mine thought we could try to see if we can by pass the starter clutch and at least get the motor to run ). What do u think?

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
Yes - if you can push start it - that means the motor is good and the starter clutch is bad

The only other possibilities is the teeth of one of the gears worn out or the starter motor turning in the wrong direction - starter motor shaft should spin clockwise

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried to pop start it but it didn't want to do anything at all. Also last time I checked I wasn't getting any spark why could that be ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I was able to pop start it and it ran. No I am just tryin to determan what part of the starter clutch I need. There are two parts and I have a scimatic of the starter clutch that I can show u here. If I don't need both parts I rather just buy the one I need if I don't need both. If u can help please let me know thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
If you want to fix it right, get parts 3 and 4 - if you just want to fix on the cheap, get part number 5 and expext to do it again in a year

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so I replaced the starter clutch and I still doesn't want to start I was able to pop start it last weekend and rode it for about an hour and ran fine I just don't know what else to do.... And help? Thanks
MitcH

·
Super Moderator
4,179 Posts
If the engine runs and the starter motor is turning the crankshaft at normal starting speed, then you must have either a mechanical or electrical problem and it will need to have a mechanic do a "hands on" inspection. I'm sorry I can't offer more suggestions, but aspirin will only relieve pain momentarily - if the pain persists, you will have to be examined by a doctor who specializes in the field to find long term relief from the cause. I think it's time to see a doctor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts