Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

My 1st 450r

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  tomgodd 
#1 ·
Welp people I got rid of the ol' 250r. I should be able to pick up the 450r tuesday.. Its an 05 with full sparks pipe.. Is their anything in particular I should look for when buying this bike? any info will be helpful not to edicuated on the 450's.. also ill be adding some goodies I hear HRC kit is pretty good...How would this work with the sparks pipe?

#2 ·
Don't know the kind of ridin the 450 has been through but i would look at thr frame real close for any kind of cracks,check for looseness in the wheel bearings. check for slack in the bearing carrier, look at the air filter and box make sure it is clean and been kept clean check the ball joints for excessive looseness,listen to the motor for any tapping or rattleing noises, just give it a good lookin over. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Don't know the kind of ridin the 450 has been through but i would look at thr frame real close for any kind of cracks,check for looseness in the wheel bearings. check for slack in the bearing carrier, look at the air filter and box make sure it is clean and been kept clean check the ball joints for excessive looseness,listen to the motor for any tapping or rattleing noises, just give it a good lookin over. Hope this helps.
Thats what I would of told you.

#4 ·
They did not do away with the kick starter the dealer would have to order a certain number of kick start models or they could not get any. I have an ER because the dealer i bought from said people prefferd the elec over the kick so they would not order the specified number of the kick start models.

#7 · (Edited)
I like the elec start but all i do is race mine . Ikinda wish it was a kick for that reason, Even the elec start can be hard to restart in a race when the motor is HOT. I have looked at converting mine so i can loose the weight of the battery the one way clutch for the starter which i have had to replace once allready but since i am retiring after this season i am going to live with it. Plus it would cost around 500 to convert.

#10 ·
I have an 07 ER, I'm still on stock battery and it has never touched a charger. I bought it new in 07.

But you're right, The Kicker does have it's advantages. Such as in my last race the wet conditions shorted out my start switch and I started blowing the main fuse over and over. Never would have happened with a kicker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.