Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

We bought our son a new TRX90 and it started smoking after 30 minutes of use. ATV was purchased new. It's not a constant stream of smoke but it appears to be oil burning smoking. Gray / blueish....

Dealer is closed today so I can't call them.

We have a 2006 TRX250EX with 1000s of hours and it does not smoke.

Thoughts? I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow just wondering what other TRX owners have to say.

Thank you.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
First make sure it's not overfull on oil. Other than that, a little oil burning during break-in can be normal. Continue to ride it and monitor the oil level - if it doesn't let up or gets worse, stop riding it and take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you here 2 help for the reply. Here is the latest.

Called the dealership this morning and explained the issue, my concern. Dropped it off an hour later and got a call back 3 hours later. The service advisor said it appeared the quad was driven with the choke on because the plug was black and the carb need adjustment. I know I took the choke off after it warmed up. He also said the gas was bad.

My only thought is the dealer doesn't have a large show room and the dirt bikes, and quads are driven from the rear parking area to the front daily.. So, the short run cycles from back parking area to the front and back again at night, over how many months they had it could have fouled things up. This atv wasn't new in the crate.

New plug, carb fix (don't have specifics), new gas with stablizer, and she should be good to go. When I got her home I let her run for a few minutes and drove her around the yard. I didn't see any smoke but it's hard to drive and look behind at the same time. No smoke at idle, while bumping the throttle ever so lightly.

Hopefully there are no other issues. I'll let my son ride it tomorrow and I'll look for smoke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.