Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for a 2009 400x, i would like to hear if anyone has any suggestions to which slip on or entire exhaust system would be the best. trying to pick something that gives me the most power increase though not waking up the neighbors 2 counties over.

For example: HMF sport series slip-on with quiet core and jetting kit.

any other thoughts? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
A complete exhaust system is always better than a slip on, but for what type of competition are you planning on competing in? I compete in hare scrambles and run the factory exhaust. Most of the participants that I pass complain that my exhaust is too quiet. They say they didn't know I was behind them. The exhaust didn't help me pass them, but it makes the spectators happy.

My club enforces a 95db sound limit. The stock exhaust tops out at 94. The guys with BIG GUN exhausts measure out at 105 to 107db and I can pass most of them. It's not the machine - IT'S THE RIDER!

A different exhaust will not make you any faster, just louder. Unless you need that extra 1/2 horse power at 13,000 rpm, or are building your motor for an increase in power at all stages of the rpm band or need to replace a defective exhaust system, then leave it stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as asked before by here 2 help, i have no intentions to race. only trail ride. i just turned 40 and had an issue with getting old, so i went out and financed this 2009 400x, black edition. i already put full pro armor skids on and was looking for some advice as to which pipe to buy. there are too many for me to decide. to be honest the power gain is the main focus but sound. the stock pipe sounds like my sportsman, i would just like some attitude but not too much as to draw attention to me from 5 miles away.

my sled is piped and has a can, i wouldn't want it any other way.

i do love my toys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a 04 400ex with a xr 400 piston. i have a powercore 4 slip-on and a stock head pipe with a 152 main jet and it runs great so i mean its all in what you are going to do with the wheeler

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
i have a 04 400ex with a xr 400 piston. i have a powercore 4 slip-on and a stock head pipe with a 152 main jet and it runs great so i mean its all in what you are going to do with the wheeler
Were you aware that a TRX400EX and the XR400R use the same piston? Honda part number 13101-KCY-670 is listed for both. The motors are basicly the same (if not the same).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think i made my mind up with HMF competition series (comes with 3 stage tips). and probably a jet kit and uni filter. mostly deep woods riding by myself. i am making a course in a 150 acre track of land owned by my neighbor, hopefully the pipe is not oo loud that he kicks my but out. oh well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an HMF slip on exhaust that I just removed from my 400ex and replaced with a Big Gun full exhaust. Both were pretty loud but with the full exhaust my quad starts easier. The stock header pipe was restrictive and would give the quad a "cold blooded" attitude. Both exhausts have quiet cores available but I don't need to worry about the noise level where I am located so I didn't bother installing them. Make sure you run with the airbox lid off too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alot of people say to run with the air box lid off. what happens when you ride in very wet, muddy deep woods? does the debris find its way to the filter and clog up or am i just thinking too much about it?

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
A larger amount of water, dirt and mud get in the air box, but the air filter keeps most of the big stuff out and the air box has a drain with a one way valve on it which will let the water out (at least until it gets clogged with debris). I run mine with a stock air box with a UNI filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run mine with a waterproof Outerwears sleeve over my filter with the airbox lid off. And I ride in the same conditions you do here in PA. I think you can get an Outerwears cover for under $20.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts