Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a trx450er with a built motor full exhaust and intake. My problem is that when I turn the key on it is supposed to get power to turn on the lights but nothing is turning on, and when I turn the lights on it also won't turn on. I need help.

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Get your meter out:

Do you have 12v on the black wire with the key switch on? If not - do you have 12v on the red wire? If not - does the battery have 12v? If not, replace the battery - if yes, check the fuse. If you have 12v on the red wire at the key switch, but not on the black wire with the switch on, replace the key switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get your meter out:

Do you have 12v on the black wire with the key switch on? If not - do you have 12v on the red wire? If not - does the battery have 12v? If not, replace the battery - if yes, check the fuse. If you have 12v on the red wire at the key switch, but not on the black wire with the switch on, replace the key switch.

View attachment 4468
Thank you I figured it out. It ended up being a bad battery. But the battery was brand new so I didn't think that would be it.

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Thank you I figured it out. It ended up being a bad battery. But the battery was brand new so I didn't think that would be it.
Never overlook the obvious - where did you get the battery? Was it filled and activated at the time of purchase or was it sitting on a shelf filled with electrolyte and what twas the date of fill and the date of the last maintenance charge?

If I buy a battery that's already filled, I don't install it until it has been fully charged at 1.25 amps for 5 - 24 hours (if it doesn't come up to a full charge in 24 hours or less, it goes back), let stand for 4 hours and then tested for voltage drop under load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts