Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 trx450r. I press on throttle most of the way and it barely wants to go. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or look for to fix this?

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
Depends on what's happening - when you throttle up does the engine rev, but the vehicle does not or when you throttle up does the engine not rev up along with the throttle position? In one case it may be the carb as a problem and in the other case it may be a faulty clutch or clutch cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on what's happening - when you throttle up does the engine rev, but the vehicle does not or when you throttle up does the engine not rev up along with the throttle position? In one case it may be the carb as a problem and in the other case it may be a faulty clutch or clutch cable.
When I rev it up the engine revs up too, and it starts moving but really slow

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
No - being in first is less likely to hurt it than being in the higher gears - I suspect (depending on his age and physical stature) that either his hand is to small and he was keeping the clutch slightly released or the cable is binding and not allowing full engagement or you used automotive engine oil (not JASO rated) and it is possible the friction modifiers in the oil caused the clutch to slip.

Also, how much of the clutch was replaced? Just the fiber plates? Fiber and driven plates? Springs? If the driven plates were not replaced, were they checked for warp and reconditioned by glass bead blasting?

Regardless - if the cable or adjustment are not the reason, then it probably needs a new clutch, but the mechanic will be able to determine that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts