Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 05

I ride in the sand at 4500 ft and in the trails and mountains to almost 10,000 ft

it has a full yoshimura exhaust, the airbox lid is missing and it has a K&N filter w/prefilter

as far as I know that is all that is done to it.

it starts pretty easy unless it gets flooded, but the top end lurches and coughs and feels like there should be more available. then on decel it backfires badly

I will pull the carb and check for cleanliness but I suck at jetting, any ideas?

Also the clutch is very stiff and hard to pull in, the previous owner said they are all that way, I will lube the cable but is there anything else to do for that?

also is there anything to watch out for or "freebies" for this bike that I should do?

thanks in advance for all your help

Spomey

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
As far as cables go - don't lube a stiff cable - replace it. Also chcek the routing. If it is bent too sharply it will be harder to pull. If it is pinched or has been pinched; it needs to be replaced. Lube the new cable (especially the end that seats in the lever) then install it and lube it regularly. Try to find out from the previous owner if heavy duty clutch springs were installed or any other "performance mods" were done to the clutch.

Jetting is pretty simple. First you need to know what jets were stock and what jets it has in it now. Coughing and lurching probably indicated too big of a main jet. Backfiring out the exhaust is pretty normal if the exhaust is "low restriction". You might reduce the backfire by turning up the idle and adjusting the fuel mixture screw toward the "rich side", but it will probably still backfire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
curious why you say dont lube a stiff cable? I understad it might be pinched or something but sometimes just a little lube and cleaning does wonders (in my experience). the most likely cause I'm thinking though is stiff clutch springs (thats what it feels like to me). So kindof the question hiding in my question is really, does anyone extend the clutch lever on the trans or mod the hand lever to ease the pull.

I havent pulled the carb as yet but my very basic understanding of tuning mimicks what you said, backfiring on deceleration is an indication of lean and the coughing and sluggishness at WOT indicate too large of main.

thanks
Spomey

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
In my experience; a stiff cable means the damage is already done. Lubing it might make it easier to pull in the shiort term, but replacing it solves the problem for the long term. I lube my cables regularly to prevent damage from rust or whatever, but as soon as they get stiff I replace them. This is because they have been lubed and further lubing will not correct the problem.
A dragging clutch cable not only makes pulling difficult, it also makes full engagement of the clutch questionable. A lot of clutches have been burned up due to bad cables. A new cable is about $20 - a new clutch is about $200 or more including incidentals such as oil, filter, gasket and parts damaged by the disintegration of the clutch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
it might not hurt to look into an aftermarket lever for easy pull

185 main would be close at lower alt, so you should end up a few sizes below this. not a for sure thing but somewhere for you start if stuck

freebies, not for 05 just 06+(green wire mod) but check valve specs, they have alot to do with good starting on 450s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts