Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only a new member but just purchased a 86 Honda TRX 200se. It's a good running machine but I can't get it to back up in reverse. Everytime I put it in reverse it dies. The red reverse light comes on and it dies. I tried giving it More throttle, still dies. I jacked up the back wheels and with the engine on shifted to reverse and it dies, then with the engine off I shifted it to reverse and the wheels turn in reverse so it doesn't seem to be locked up in reverse. I'm lost in why this happens and hope someone might know what is wrong. Thanks for any help, Del

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
You have a very rare machine there - Honda only made one model of TRX200 in 1986 - the TRX200SX

Reverse is tied into the CDI unit to limit speed in reverse - I believe the limiter has failed and is simply cutting ignition completely when in reverse instead of cutting ignition momentarily - this can be tested by removing or cutting the grey wire at the CDI unit - if you choose to cut the wire, leave enough to splice it back together if you get a different CDI unit. Cutting the grey wire will remove the ground signal to the CDI unit while not affecting the reverse light.

Font Schematic Parallel Engineering Pattern

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thank alot. That's easy to test I had heard that the reverse was tied into the cdi but didn't know why makes sense. Will test it and get back to you. It it is that then I will get a new cdi. Talk to you later

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the problem, as soon as I disconnected the gray wire it went into reverse and backed up. The red reverse light doesn't come on, but thats probably cause it has no ground. I will now look for a good replacemet for the CDI. Any suggestions as it's hard to find a good one with all the junk from China for aftermarket parts. Thank you so much for your help. I really like this honda and it really runs well and i could have got by without reverse, but i would love to get it working like it did when it was new. Again thanks, this forum is awsume and i hope to help someone else as i learn how to keep these cool machines running well.

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
The reverse light should come on, it's grounded through the transmission switch same as neutral - the difference when you disconnect the gray wire form the CDI unit is that you have removed ground from that part of the CDI unit. Now it possible the diode in the reverse light circuit has failed - it's somewhat rare for the diode to fail, but it's easy to check - jump past it and see if the light comes on if it does, replace the diode if not, then it's still the CDI unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts