Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, new member but I don't 'member.
1987 Trx250x rebuild starting. Obtained for a measly 400 paper government notes.
I'm a 35 yr old ex-motocross-e-er-ateer. I think. And I did the whole mechanic for money for 16 years. I know, it's ok.
Anyway, back in-tha' good OIL days, I sat on my numbered two wheelers...brap...and always liked the look of the short wheelbase trx250x's...whoops, accidentally found one! I was leaving and the tierod got hooked on my pants leg. It was dripping oil on 3 flats and just looked pityful with busted plastics warped and stitched. I let it ride in the truck, and left it alone to recover from the trauma.
It sat outside in the elements for about 4 years. A decision was to be made. Sell or keep? I decided it has become time to give a old honda back it's true red wings.
Bike ran, but is jammed in first gear, with no shifter movement and extra breathing holes in the sides and bottom of the engine cases. Mmmm, not factory connection. Overall condition on a scale of 1 to 10 is....well the frame is not bent.
It appears to have earned the right to be respected. As such, I shall despair...(no no) re-pair... repair the trx250x... and so the hoonairy begins.
Used cases and transmission parts on the way in the mail.
I shall start from the bottom, but I will arise clean and ride away.
The devil can have his wings, I shall build mine!

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm partial to the manhandling small size. N.C. woods are not clear and spacious. It will serve my purpose exactly just good enough. :unsure: Throw it in the truck and have a beer as friends start hooking up trailers. :whistle:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See: 87 trx250x rebuild & parts questions
Eventually, this may come together. As of now, I have enough to complete a rolling chassis & complete the bottom end. When I return home in 2 weeks.
Drop an opinion, or just your thoughts. Everyone's welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Back on it in another week...

I'm a 16 yr auto tech, I specialized in drivability/electrical. I grew up, welding and racing in 2 stroke motocross, transitioned to dirt track, cars, trucks, drag racing on mud and ended it all, probing sensors and building wire harnesses for money in garages. I can fix it, it might not be worth it. (Not to mention the money making check engine light)
This cramped my own projects, as I tired of turning bolts, and turning gears in my head. A quick switch of jobs to remodeling big box stores solved that. 4 years later and I want to pick up wrenches in my free time again!
This trx project has landed me here. I am lacking in these small 4 strokes. Any inputs are appreciated. It seems the info has been buried.
I'm also doing the '70 Elcamino (my first car, bought by my grandparents)
Also, a 94 model Civic Sedan. It will be nice!
Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts