Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

New member with a problem

3K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  HAD1K 
#1 ·
Hello I have a trx 350ES with a strange problem.
So how it developed the fault was I had the engine out for a full rebuild due to the oil pump seizing which destroyed the balancer shaft and took most of the engine with it.
Since rebuilt and dropped back into the quad I no longer get the N for neutral on the clock just the dreaded dash marks. Manually change into first and it displays 4th. No matter what other gear is selected I get the dash marks. That’s not the best bit. I cannot run the quad for long as the throttle cable heats up fairly quickly and has somehow attracted a steady 7v which can be also measured on the top of the carb. I started diagnosing it but it blew the diode so now I can’t get ignition. I’ve ordered a new diode but has anyone has this issue before to save me at least another diode and hours of fault finding. Thanks

#6 ·
OK - based on the 03 wiring diagram, you need to check the continuity on the gear indicator switch - you can do this one of two ways

1) Check ohms from each wire to ground

2) jump each wire on the wiring harness side of the plug to ground and see the indication on the instrument

If you jump each wire to ground and get the proper indication, remove the switch and inspect the operator

#9 ·
Second update I found the fault with the throttle cable. It turned out to be the pre heat on the carb shorting. I have tried jumping the wires on the harness for the gear selector and still get the dash marks. If I connect it and shift into first I get 4th displayed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.