Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a trx 350ES with a strange problem.
So how it developed the fault was I had the engine out for a full rebuild due to the oil pump seizing which destroyed the balancer shaft and took most of the engine with it.
Since rebuilt and dropped back into the quad I no longer get the N for neutral on the clock just the dreaded dash marks. Manually change into first and it displays 4th. No matter what other gear is selected I get the dash marks. That’s not the best bit. I cannot run the quad for long as the throttle cable heats up fairly quickly and has somehow attracted a steady 7v which can be also measured on the top of the carb. I started diagnosing it but it blew the diode so now I can’t get ignition. I’ve ordered a new diode but has anyone has this issue before to save me at least another diode and hours of fault finding. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the fourtrax trx 350 ES I believe it's a 2003 but registered in 2007.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The parts are from a 2003 I would have to pull the log book out for the vin

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
OK - based on the 03 wiring diagram, you need to check the continuity on the gear indicator switch - you can do this one of two ways

1) Check ohms from each wire to ground

2) jump each wire on the wiring harness side of the plug to ground and see the indication on the instrument

If you jump each wire to ground and get the proper indication, remove the switch and inspect the operator

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Thank you for that I will give that a go as soon as my diode turns up and I will keep you posted. I hope it’s not the year selector switch otherwise I fear it’s going to be an engine out job again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi well I have sort of an update. Diode is in bit while I was testing the gear selector harness (so the plug was disconnected) the throttle cable still heated up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Second update I found the fault with the throttle cable. It turned out to be the pre heat on the carb shorting. I have tried jumping the wires on the harness for the gear selector and still get the dash marks. If I connect it and shift into first I get 4th displayed

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
I'm giving up - Honda did not have a TRX350ES or EX anywhere between 2001 and 2007, so not knowing what you have, I am sorry, I can't help you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They did do a TRX350ES (FOURTRAX) between those year’s. Go to the likes of the parts supplier Fowler’s UK and how do you think parts can be ordered for that exact model?

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
Must be a non-US only model - I have the Honda ID guides for 1959 to 2005 and could not find that model designation - what is the VIN - I might be able to use that to determine it's US cousin or ID the US version

I just went to Fowler's and still don't find it

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
TRX350FE

4x4 electric shift

Probably 2003 - in 04 they became a Rancher ES

Go back to post 6 and test for continuity - if not right, looks like you will be pulling the engine to correct the problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks I’ll try a continuity test. I hope I don’t have to pull the engine again they are a pig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts