Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! Please excuse my newbie type questions. I purchased a 2014 TRX400X (new) this past Saturday and noticed a couple of things. One I'm getting a whirring/buzzing type sound coming from the front sprocket area. I noticed my chain seemed a little loose so I tighten it according to the manual but the sound is still there. When I accelerate the noise become more apparent and I can pull in my clutch and allow the motor to rev down and the bike to coast and I can still hear it. I'm sure it has something to do with the chain moving but is this normal? Should there be some chain noise?

Also when sitting still with the bike running if I shift up through the gears going back down I have the rock the bike back and forth the get it to catch the next gear down gear. Meaning the bike will not sit still and shift all the way up and all the way down through the gears. The lever will feel like there is no gear there until I start to rock the bike back and forth and then it catches and I can progress through the gears. Is this normal?

Sorry for the newbie type questions. This is my first bike so I'm new to this and don't know if this is normal or not. Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
First of all, chains are noisy - especially when too tight - nothing to worry about unless the noise is there with the chain removed. If the noise is there with the chain removed, then it might be a transmission bearing. In that case get it back to the dealer for warranty service.

Shifting either up or down when not moving is sometimes difficult - again nothing to worry about as long as it shifts properly when moving. Hint: most operators don't know how to shift properly. Most people pull the clutch in, operate the shifter, let out the clutch -WRONG - over time you will damage the transmission shifting this way. The proper way to shift (using the clutch) is to pull in on the lever, pull up or push down on the shift lever and hold it, then let out on the clutch lever, then let off the shift lever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The noise is more apparent the faster I go and under a load. If I hold in the clutch and let off the gas I can hear it until the bike slows to almost a stop. How could I recreate the problem with the chain off? Roll the bike?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
If the noise is in the motor, just start it up with the chain off, put it in gear and listen for it - if the noise is from the drive train, try rolling it with the chain off and see if you hear it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I still have the break in oil in the bike as it only has maybe 45 minutes of run time on it. Sometimes when shifting it shifts smooth as silk other times it seems to really clunk or catch into the gear. Is this normal? It doesn't not go into gear it's just sometime I have to be more forceful to get it to shift and I definitely feel it shift into the gear harder at times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.