Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just picked up a 05 trx450. I bought it from a nice guy I trust but he couldn't get it running like he said i . Did.. He said it needs carb work an it leaked fuel from overflow line an not just a little it pours pretty fast. I tried kick starting it an I couldn't get it going..I tried pulling it with a truck an jump starting it an it would run until I let off throttle seems a little lean on power as well. I cleaned out the whole carb an float wasn't stuck. It actually looks new. I tested it with the cap off an it stick an opens as it should..also put new plugs. Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
Since it has electric start, it must be an 06 TRX450ER

The most common starting issue with these machines (besides the carb) is valve clearance. The 450R and ER has the same Titanium intake valves that it big brother (the CRF450R) has. Overhead cam engines tend to get tight valves over time and valve adjustment intervals are critical. Ask the previous owner when the valves were last adjusted. My bet is if you get the valves adjusted, it will start and have power like it's supposed to have (unless the problem turns out to be ignition, rings, or carburetor)

I have found a myriad of innocent mistakes that owners have made. I recently worked on a Kawasaki KFS400 that a guy bought and couldn't get it running. He rode it before he bought it and said it ran perfectly. I took the seat off, took off the air box lid (which appeared new), sprayed some starting fluid on the air cleaner and tried starting it. It cranked without firing. Further investigation concluded the problem was not spark, compression or timing. That left fuel and air. The spark plug had come out wet, so I installed a new plug, shut the gas off by pinching off the fuel line (the Kaw has a vacuum operated petcock), drained the carb and tried starting again. After a few cranks with the throttle wide open, it started, ran crappy, smoothed out and died. It had been flooded. I refilled the carb and tried starting again. It started and ran fine. While it was idling, I put the top on the air box - it died almost immediately. I took the top off the airbox and tried starting again - had to hold the throttle wide open and after a several cranks, it started, ran crappy, smoothed out and idled. Turned out the previous owner had been running with the top off the air box. In an attempt to keep some water out of the airbox (since he had removed the intake snorkel), he had fashioned a block-off plate for the snorkel hole and silicone sealed it and pop-riveted it in place. When the prospective new owner had ridden and inspected it, he asked about the top for the airbox. The seller said he had it and would put it back on. When the new owner got home, the engine would not start because it was not getting ANY air. I removed the airbox, drilled out the pop-rivets, removed the block-off, installed the airbox and all was well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jump Started? The 2005 TRX450R's are not Electric Start. Only 2006 or newer is able to be Jump Started. Or unless your 05 has the Electric Start Conversion Kit.

So it's Getting Fuel

SPARK:
First of all Does the Bike have Spark when it is Kicked over? and if it does not but it fires up when Pull Started it may be a bad Pulsar Coil/Trigger Coil. ALSO keep reading I will provide you will some great information. Check to see if it has a nice Blue Spark when you Kick it over... If YES to having nice Blue Spark go ahead and start reading the VALVES: section I posted on this post... If it doesn't have Spark can be a Bad Pulsar Coil I see this allot, people have no spark when their bike is Kick Start or Electric start but fires up when pull start "Popping Clutch while being towed"

VALVES:
Tight Valve Clearances, if the Valves have never ever been done I would suggest to get them done by someone who knows how to do them because they aren't like old style Air Cooled motors that you can just pop the top off and turn a Jam Nut and reset your lash. These use what are called "Valve Buckets and Shims" when ever they adjust Valves on these engines they install a Smaller "Valve Shim" until the Clearance is calculated just right.

Now if you do Decide to Adjust the Valves your self do allot of Research FIRST and here is a great link this guy provides allot of Information on how to adjust the TRX450 and CRF valves.

GHOTT's 2005 Honda TRX450R Valve Adjustment How To

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.