Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! I am new to the ATV world. I am having a hard time finding info on my Honda fourtrax 200 type 2. The model code is TRX200DR. Does anyone know what year this is? where I can get a service manual? I know this is going to sound ridiculous... but I cannot seem to find any oil or fuel filters? I changed the oil but now what? I purchased a filter but I'm guessing it is for a different model. I checked out the centrifugal oil gear and it looked clean. Is that all I need to check? And what about the air filter under the seat. I read somewhere that I need to soak it in gear oil?? I am totally confused. The ATV starts up and runs ok. I just want to keep up with the maintenance. I am not familiar with motorcycles or this kind of motor. If I had some specs showing/identifying parts it would greatly help. Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I understand your enthusiasm and appreciate your seeking advice instead of blindly following internet misinformation and you have stumbled on the right place.

The TRX200D was introduced fi=or the 1991 model year and was produced through 1997. They wera all Type II with product code HF1. There were two versions; 49 state and New Hampshire. There is no published data indicating a DR model, but the New Hampshire model had the designation of DN.

91 was a 5 speed without reverse - 92 thru 97 was 5 speed with reverse

The VIN will reveal the year model

In 91 and 92; the 49 state model VIN started 478TE174 and the NH model was 478TE177
The 93 thru 97 models were; 49 state 478TE170 and NH 478TE173
The 10th digit of the VIN is the model year: M=91, N=92, P=93, R=94, S=95, T=96 and V=97

I'm going to guess yours is a 93 model

The oil filter is a brass or steel micro screen in the crankcase and a centrifuge chamber on the centrifugal clutch - no paper or cartridge filtration.

Fuel filter is part of the petcock and located inside the fuel tank.

Air filter (if it's foam) is washed in mineral spirits, kerosene or with soap and water, dried and oiled with air filter oil - I like Uni aerosol oil, a froind of mine swears by Twin Air pour on oil and there are other brands of filter oil available, but they are all applied the same - put on the filter and work the oil into the foam by massaging the oil into the media - when the filter is completely oiled, place between paper towels and blot as much excess oil out as possible - blot by pressing and not by twisting. Install and done.

Finally, you can get a PDF download of the service manual for $15 at TRADEBIT.COM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.. Thank you for all this info !!. Being that the oil filter screen is in the crankcase and the fuel filter is inside the fuel tank .. are these easy to change?? I don't mind taking things apart but I am guessing this may be beyond my capabilities. I did notice a filter of some sort underneath. It kind of looks like a capsule,? maybe 1/2 in OD x 2 inch oval tube?? held on with a clip. hard to tell what's in it. gas, oil?. I guess I can take it off to inspect. Probably has a screen of some sort. You have been a huge help.. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Here's the crankcase filter - (#4)

Here's the centrifuge filter - (#2)

Here's the fuel filter - (#1) (comes with the petcock - not replaceable separately)

Not sure what you are seeing under the machine - a pic would help identify it and it might not be OEM - might be something a PO installed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this a little late but maybe this will still help anyone still looking. It seems difficult to find info on my 94 TRX 200D. There's no replaceable oil filter. I took the air filter box out and put an aftermarket air filter. That filter under the tank is most likely an aftermarket universal fuel filter. I'm using one until I replace the screen.... The screen inside the tank can be removed by removing the tank and then removing the fuel petcock. Be careful taking the screen out and depending on the amount of trash built up clogging the screen will make it difficult to remove and tear the screen leaving the top half stuck inside. As it did with mine. I'm not sure where to buy new screens by themselves. I found a new petcock online for less than 10 bucks that comes with one. Gonna swap parts with the original because of the handle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts