Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone -

New here just getting into my 400 ex I purchased a few days ago. Needs some work - carb leaks, couple flat tires, found some wire nuts used in the harness near the battery, etc. minor stuff.

I'm a dirtbike guy and have been riding a bike (between street and dirt) for about 20 years. All my friends have sport quads and, well, now I do too so I can roll with the pack.

This 400 was picked up from a person who did not do the work to it, so I have no idea what all is done. He said it was bored but, I have zero evidence of that. It sounds really similar to my 2004 crf450r that is built all to hell so who knows? Don't care for now, won't matter unless I need to do some internal work! It runs great and the tires hold air just long enough to wail on it a bit and it's certainly quick. If anyone sees things in the pics that are aftermarket please call them out. The protaper (didn't even know that was a thing on quads, my crf has one) and some of the front end are obvious. So is the exhaust.

PS - Who cuts the damn wheel wells/fenders off? That's a jerk move.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree, I hate race cut plastics. As for aftermarket you got yer pro armor bumper, nerf bars, pro taper handle bars, pro circuit exhaust and tires which is visible. My guess is that they jetted the carb and probably took the air lid cover off. What's the year? I have a yellow '02.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, I hate race cut plastics. As for aftermarket you got yer pro armor bumper, nerf bars, pro taper handle bars, pro circuit exhaust and tires which is visible. My guess is that they jetted the carb and probably took the air lid cover off. What's the year? I have a yellow '02.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The airbox lid is there, but the filter inside is aftermarket. It's a 2001. I assume that the carb has been jetted only because it's cleared it has been messed with. I'm just working on getting the float bowl off because it's leaking so much gas, but it has signs of tampering already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What ever it is - it is over oiled and poorly oiled - the oil should be uniformly applied and all excess oil should be blotted out of the filter - and I agree, it looks like it might be OEM
I'll look at replacing it. Once I get that done I want to do the sparkplug run/shut off trick to test the fuel mixture. The carb has a 155 primary in it, not sure of the secondary.

Turns out the front end is Janssen motorsports outlaw. Wider than OEM when comparing it to my friend's stock 400ex. Someone loved this thing at one point that set is not cheap! Makes me wonder how to properly inspect it though. With it parked on dry concrete you can here a clicking in the front end when you slightly turn the handlebars from side to side. Feels like there's play somewhere and that worries me!

Also just found out that my stockpile of Rotella t6 15w-40 oil is compatible with this engine and clutch! That's awesome news. I bought that oil for a bike I no longer own and was pretty upset that I had 4 gallons of good oil with no use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.