Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have 2 87 Honda fourtrax atvs my 87 fourtrax 250 is my wife’s (I have the 250x) well she went to start hers and apparently there was a large mouse nest in it and it would start so when I got home first thing I did was check the gas and the air filter air filter was filled with a mouse nest so I cleaned it and took the carb out and cleaned it as well ( carb was fine) but now the wheeler won’t start at all I have spark and it’s getting gas my question is why won’t it start now please help she’s on my ass haha

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any debris get sucked into the motor from the nest while trying to start it? You might have something in there not letting the valves seat properly and thus no compression.

Remove the spark plug and shoot a little starting fluid directly into the cylinder... if it fires for even a brief moment that would indicate your carb is still not working as it should, and that you have compression as well as spark.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Yes - if the air filter was destroyed by the vermin and a little bit of material got trapped between the valve and the valve seat, it may cause a loss of compression. I worked on one that mice had carried grains of wheat into the air box and one grain of wheat got smashed between the valve and the seat holding the valve open, but stuck enough that it did not 'hammer out' and combustion would not burn it out. I was able to open the valve and with the carb and exhaust removed, reach through the port with a round wire brush ans brush the valve and seat to remove the grain remnant so the engine would start and avoided tearing down the engine to clean the valve and seat. Sometimes you can used compressed air via the spark plug hole to blow bits of material out of an open valve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts