Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Needle & clip

The needle is located in the slide. Typically it has grooves so that an E-clip can be installed. The position of the clip sets the position of the needle relative to the needle jet to control the amount of fuel mixed with the incoming air at throttle settings above idle to about 3/4 throttle settings. The affected throttle positions are between approximately 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.

If your carburation is either rich or lean at steady mid-throttle settings, you correct the mixture by changing the position of the clip. The grooves are considered #1 at the top of the needle. The top being the end of the needle with the grooves. The standard setting for most is with the clip in the #3 (out of 5) position. To make the mixture richer, the clip is moved to the #4 or #5 groove and leaner is the #2 or #1 groove.

The only time it is necessary to change the needle position is if the motor either surges (lean) or blubbers (rich) in one of the upper gears at a steady half throttle setting (cruising speed on a street bike).

Technology Cylinder Electronic device Metal
Product Brass Metal
Brass Metal

The pics are not of 400EX carb parts, but are representative of the assembly

Please excuse the quality of my photos - I really need to get a new digital camera

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the kit to rebuild the carb and thats why i asked that question. Whats the best way to take out the ring where the needle sits or go thrue? Heat or punch will be my guess

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Just remove the main jet holder (loosen the lock nut and unscrew it) - just push on the needle jet with a wood or plastic dowel rod (available at hardware and hobby stores) - put the new jet in seat it with a dowel and tighten the main jet holder against it (not overly tight - just screw it in by finger till it contacts the needle jet and snug the jet holder with a screwdriver handle socket holder, then snug the lock nut - 10 inch pounds is plenty tight)

Heat and a punch won't be necessary unless the carb is heavily corroded and near needing to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.