Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all :cool: Glad to have found a place like this one. So much to look through and learn from.

I have the three lights all good: oil temp, neutral, reverse lights on the panel, but I have no head or brake lights. I'v checked bulbs, fuses (behind battery), connectors, most of the wiring. If it were just one or the other I could narrow it down more, but as it is both that are not functioning (front or back) I need to know if anyone could narrow it down for me as to where I might want to look. I just bought this trx 300 a couple days ago and have not ridden it yet very much yet. I want to tune it up first and give it a fair start. Right now the lights are what I'm working on.

EDIT: It's a 1993 trx 300 fourtrax 2wd

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would go back and REPLACE the suspect fuses with fresh new. Sometimes they 'look good' and are bad. Second, check the SWITCH on the handle bar. Make sure its connection is clean and corrosion free. Make sure the swith body isn't full of water, dust and has a good ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I got a hold of a circuit tester and found I don't have any power going to the starter/engine stop switch for the lights. I can start it fine. I just cant turn the lights on. MY question now would be if it is possible that the regulator might have an isolated issue with the power regulated to the lights.

Is that even a possibility?

EDIT: I have had the starter/engine stop switch apart and cleaned off the connections of the switch for the lights (before I got the tester) as it was dirty... but it made no difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
OK - follow this: the red wire from the battery is the positive (hot) wire - it goes from the battery to the voltage regulator and the ignition switch. When the switch is turned on, it connects to the BLACK wire - now the black wire is the hot wire. The black wire goes to the indicator lights, the engine stop switch, the starter button, the light on/off switch and the voltage regulator.

Your indicator lights work when the GROUND side of the light is connected to ground through a switch.

For the head and tail lights; the black wire is connected to the brown wire at the on/off switch on the handlebar and the brown wire supplies power to the taillight. The black wire is connected INTERNALLY to the headlight hi/lo switch. Depending on the position of the switch, either the blue (high) or white (low) wire supplies power to the headlight.

I would deduce you either have a broken black wire somewhere between the ignition switch and the headlight on/off switch or a bad on/off switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou so much. We have fixed the issue. It was in that compartment on the handlebars. It was actually a combination of a faulty switch (there is a notch that holds the flat side to the connection/bumps that was not holding things tight) and it was a pinched wire that I had to replace.

Now... Next week I'll be pulling out the steering column and heating it to reshape it straight. Big job, but it feels good to have made progress. Again, thankyou very much. Your a champion amongst men :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
even if it's tempered, like cooled in oil after... I was told it'd make it strong. I somehow think in my mind that it might make it brittle, but I don't know. I suppose I could keep my eye out for a used one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know if there are some machine models that have compatible steering columns or do I need to look for a trx300 column in specific. I plan on getting one that is not bent or has never been damaged online.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The steering shaft is the same for these models:
1993 Honda ATV TRX300
1994 Honda ATV TRX300
1995 Honda ATV TRX300
1996 Honda ATV TRX300 FOURTRAX
1997 Honda ATV TRX300
1998 Honda ATV TRX300
1999 Honda ATV TRX300 FOURTRAX
2000 Honda ATV TRX300

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.