Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first time to this forum so I apologize if this has been discussed and I just couldn't find it anywhere. I'm having issues with an '04 TRX250ex. Like an idiot, I hooked up a jump starter backwards and fried something and I'm trying to figure out what.

Here's what I see: I have no neutral light, or reverse light with the key switch on and a good battery connected. The quad won't turn over normally, however if I bridge the coil with a screw driver the quad fires right up and my neutral light turns on, but flickers. My reverse light also works once the quad is running.

I checked the fuse (the one by the battery) and it's good, but is there another fuse somewhere? Since the bike starts up and runs fine I'm assuming it's not a problem with the CDI or stator. I could have melted a wire somewhere I guess, but that would be very surprising.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

·
Super Moderator
3,578 Posts
Simple - you have no voltage on the red wire at the key switch or you have a bad key switch - no voltage on the red wire is a bad battery, bad connection, bad fuse or a burned out red wire.

BTW - you do not jump the coil to start - it's the solenoid you are jumping.

Let me know what you find

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found it. There is another fuse by the battery farther down. I didn't see it before. I'm not sure what the other one is doing, but when I replaced the fuse down further everything started working. Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
3,578 Posts
There was only one fuse from the factory - a second fuse would be an owner modification and a dumb modification at that - I would remove one fuse completely or disable it by installing a huge amperage fuse so it would not blow under any circumstance. Glad you found the problem!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts