Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quick update i now have dc voltage at the cdi socket at the front of the atv . Ignition pulse generator.2.78

Ive done a test on the yellow and black wire going to the coil and get nothing

So red probe on yellow and white wire

Black probe on ground.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
2 to 5 volts from the pulse generator is nominal (meaning what you are reading is good) - the charge coil generally puts out about 45v nominal, so that's good the last thing needed is about 100v from the CDI to the coil on the blk/yel wire to ground. If all that checks good, then it's most likely a faulty coil, spark plug cap, spark plug or the rare loss of ground between the engine and frame. If the electric starter works, then loss of ground between engine and frame is highly unlikely as a factor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay so im not getting any voltage from the cdi to the yellow/black wire . Ive already replaced this units once in trying to fix the fault.. (i did use a aftermarket cdi at 80pound 109 dollars approximately on ebay) is there any other ways i can confirm if it is the cdi. Is there a cheaper box i could buy. Last thing i want to do is buy the cdi to find out its not that.

Thanks for your reply. Means alot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To discover i had no voltage on my black/yellow wire. I plugged the cdi back in to the harness and cranked the engine

The peak voltage was checked

Black wire to ground
Red to black/yellow.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Okay so im not getting any voltage from the cdi to the yellow/black wire . Ive already replaced this units once in trying to fix the fault.. (i did use a aftermarket cdi at 80pound 109 dollars approximately on ebay) is there any other ways i can confirm if it is the cdi. Is there a cheaper box i could buy. Last thing i want to do is buy the cdi to find out its not that.

Thanks for your reply. Means alot.

To discover i had no voltage on my black/yellow wire. I plugged the cdi back in to the harness and cranked the engine

The peak voltage was checked

Black wire to ground
Red to black/yellow.

Thanks
If the peak voltages are good going into the CDI, then the CDI unit has to be the problem

I don't buy from Ebay or Amazon - the part number is 30410-HN1-003 and it retails for $120 USD - I can buy for $80 new from Honda.

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
Ahhh........ You bought a CDI unit for 05-14 400EX when you needed the one for 99-04 - did you do that because it was cheaper? In 05 they put reverse in the transmission and the CDI was changed to incorporate a reverse speed limiter and the fact that they were not changed for 9 years makes them more plentiful and cheaper than the ones only made for 5 years and are more scarce and higher priced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In all fairness i brought it by mistake. I only realised that the part is wrong when you sent the correct part number. Ill be sure to buy from honda . Ill update you soon. Thanks for your help. Hopfully the new cdi works or atleast the yellow and black wire gets an output from the cdi.

I can then move on to the next step

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI guys,

So the CDI had arrived. Connected it a boom ive got a spark...

Im so happy after spending hours on the quad.

"Here to help" you have been a fantastic help . I really appreciate all your help honestly.

So i figured rather then just leaving the site i should share my lessons ive learnt.

The issue started not to long after i brought the quad.

For some reason the quad speedo didnt work. I tried guessing by moving wires around to fix the issue. ( wires seemed to be everywhere and tightened together by twisting wires)

I then made the issue worse by having no spark ( i think i disturbed a wire). After reading verious messages on the internet i changed the CDI stator rectifier spark plug and coil. I also added a whole new wiring harness.(tbh this harness was needed as this one was chopped up and sliced for after market immobilisers and speedos)

No joy . After spending hours on the quad i kind of give up for alittle while.

I then joined this group and was reading through the process of testing the ignition components with a peak voltage meter with help from "here to help".

I quickly identified the issue with the meter and realised the CDI was at fault. The model number i had recently replaced the CDI with was incorrect.

Here in the UK we have registration plates with the year of the quad on the rear plate. Mine said 07 so i assumed i needed a 07 cdi. This was incorrect as the year 07 was when the ATV was registered on the road the chassis number actually states the truth (2004). Dont let this one trick you out.

Anyone with this issue. Please test the ignition system appropriately and DO NOT order parts and throw money at the quad.. you may buy aftermarket parts and cause more issues as i experienced.

Once the new cdi was add the ATV started fine. I did notice the lights were flickering as if there wasn't enough power .

At the rectify i got a reading of 2.3v i then changed the rectifier with the oem part from honda and i got 12v ..

Lastly i noticed people had spark issues with there atv from the rectifier. I can start my quad and it will run fine without the rectifier pluged in.

Okay thanks alot for reading.

Any questions happy to help.

·
Super Moderator
4,465 Posts
@Anil hira - glad you are not 'leaving' - this is a collective group of enthusiast who attempt to help each other by sharing knowledge and experience. For some, it's a place to brag about their machine, accomplishments and stupidity. Some like post pics of their quad after being crashed, submerged in a swamp or perched in a tree. Some brag about their "upgrades" which are nothing more than modifications (wiring chopping included). And then there is me, a mechanic with a degree in electronics and over 40 years of experience trying to help owners save some money by offering guidance on how to determine the source of a problem and how to rectify that problem. I also share PDF files of service manuals as part of my quest to help others. Welcome to the forum.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts