Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2003 TRX250TM
Been running fine until today. Started it up after riding out to the horse pasture. Light showed it was in neutral and it started. However, it was in gear. It is stuck in 3rd i believe, but neutral light is on and it will not shift up or down.
It will start and run but will not shift at all. Neurtal light is on all the time.
I can hold the shift lever up or down and the clutch will work allowing the atv to be pushed.
Any ideas? Some one on another forum suggested a broken shift drum.

·
Super Moderator
4,397 Posts
OK, what you have is a very simple problem that requires engine removal. I'm a pretty good guesser and after studying the parts breakdown and the service manual, here is my guess.

Due to the complexity of the shift mechanism, your problem is the cam that facilitates shifting and locks the transmission in gear has come loose from the end of the shift drum. It is held in place with an allen bolt in the center of it. It will not typically come loose unless it was not locktighted and properly torqued. It might be possible that something else in the shift linkage broke or came loose, but regardless, the motor has to come out of the frame to fix the problem.

Let me know if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, what you have is a very simple problem that requires engine removal. I'm a pretty good guesser and after studying the parts breakdown and the service manual, here is my guess.

Due to the complexity of the shift mechanism, your problem is the cam that facilitates shifting and locks the transmission in gear has come loose from the end of the shift drum. It is held in place with an allen bolt in the center of it. It will not typically come loose unless it was not locktighted and properly torqued. It might be possible that something else in the shift linkage broke or came loose, but regardless, the motor has to come out of the frame to fix the problem.

Let me know if I am wrong.
Motor out and apart.
A piece broke off the shift drum thus not allowing any shifting.
No other problems found.

·
Super Moderator
4,397 Posts
Question - was the broken piece the star lookin thingie with one bolt in the center on the end of the shift drum? Maybe you could post a pic of the part?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts