Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as I posted previously my 85 trx 125 still won't start but now it is getting no spark, I had someone coming to look at it for me so I went out to check on it and there was good spark, then when we tried to start it we discovered there was no spark. can anyone tell me what to look for? I cant understand why one time it would have such good spark then the next time it would have none. Help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take a volt meter and check for voltage at the ket switch when u turn it on then go to the end of the wiring for key switch and check for voltage, come on man process of elimination its not that difficult!

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Key switch is easy. Switch off - the black wire with the white stripe connects to the green wire to kill the engine. Switch on - the red wire connects to the black wire to energize the lights and make the electric starter work. If the engine has a recoil starter - unplug the key switch and the handlebar kill switch from the wiring harness and look for spark. The ignition is killed by shorting it to ground. A short in the black/white wire will keep you from getting spark even if everything else is good.

Voltage is not required to make this model run.

The Honda service manual lists "no spark" possibilities as, (in their suggested order probability) Faulty spark plug, Fouled spark plug, Faulty CDI, Broken or shorted spark plug wire, Faulty alternator, Broken or shorted ignition coil, Faulty pulse generator, Poorly connected, broken or shorted wires, Faulty ignition switch, Faulty regulator/rectifier, Faulty change switch (neutral/reverse switch), Engine stop switch. NOTE: the battery is not listed as a possibility for no spark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.