Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thank you for reading my post!! I am new here and new to the honda. I gave up on my polaris scrambler for an awsome 400ex.
Its been two months and ive noticed im loosing oil... ive have no leaks around the gaskets on the engine and none on my cement garage floor. This leads me to believe i am burning it up. Correct??
Why?
Possibly where?
Best fix?

i would assume blow by on the cylinder and i need to rehone or bore?!?

thanx bret

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
First, don't assume anything.

Second, onto the problem (lots of questions)
Have you changed the oil since you got it?
If yes - what kind of oil did you use? If no - what kind of oil did it have in it and when was the last time it was changed?
How often do you check the oil?
How often do you change the oil?
Do you have the owners manual?

I race and use full synthetic oil. My motor uses about 200cc of oil per race and it doesn't smoke or leak. Synthetic oils are "slicker" than petroleum oils so it gets past the rings easier. I don't use synthetic for the lubricity, I use synthetic for it's higher resistance to breakdown at high temperatures.

Oil does breakdown. If the wrong type of oil is used or if it is run too long, it will stop lubricating like it's supposed to. Automotive oils (not rated JASO or API rated SJ or higher) will break down more quickly. The transmission is harder on the oil than the engine so you need an oil that will resist breaking down in the transmission. A proper oil run too long will breakdown also. Oil thal has broken down will cause engine damage, such as; ring failure, cam and rocker arm failure, starter clutch failure and if let go long enough, crankshaft and transmission failure.

I would recommend you change the oil and filter, use a petroleum oil such as Honda GN 10W40 - run it for a couple of rides then change it again (along with the filter). ride it for a month and monitor the oil level. If it gets "black" right away - change it again. Keep doing this, changing and monitoring the oil. If it gets to the point that the oil is not getting dirty quickly, then it might stop using oil too. If it continues to use oil at an unacceptable rate, then have the engine rebuilt. Some oil usage during hard usage is normal.

My race engine only holds 750cc of oil and like I said, uses about 200cc during a 2 hour race. After 8 years of racing, about 6 piston and ring replacements and one set of valves, the oil still comes out almost as clean as it goes in. The inside of the motor looks like new. It might last another 8 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have changed the oil since purchase. the last guy used the Honda oil but because the honda dealer is almost 45 mins away from me i decided to switch to
mobile 1 racing 4T 10w-40. i check my oil before every ride. this last ride i was at the badlands in indiana. i topped it off just barely over full rode for a day and a half and the dip stick when i got home barely touched the bottom of the dip stick. Oil looks slightly dirty. i will invest in a measuring device so i can keep better track of exact oil loss. No manual!! i dont race but i ride hard and endevour to do so i think i might be good at it!!

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Try switching from the Mobil-1 to a petroleum oil. There are a lot of motorcycle dealers in your area - pick the closest one and get whatever pure petroleum oil they have. Try to avoid synthetic blends and go for the cheap stuff (PJ1 Silverfire, Castrol 4-T (not Actevo) Yamalube part #LUB-10W40-AP-12) etc. Make sure it has the JASO rating of MA or MA2.

Out of curiousity; what kind of Mobil 1 did you use and where did you get it? If it was motorcycle oil, it would have a clip-art caricature of a motorcycle on the front of the bottle and ratings of JASO MA or API ratings of SJ,SH,SL,SM on the back label. In the text of the label the last paragraph is -Recommended by ExonMobil for use in applications requiring: API SG, CF

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
If the piston rings have worn enough, it's possible the rings are not scraping the oil off the cylinder wall and instead are just sliding over the film of oil causing an unacceptable amount of loss. The higher lubricity of the synthetic may be causing the consumption. Using a petroleum oil with a lower degree of lubricity may reduce or stop the loss of oil. My suggestion is give it a try or re-ring the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.