Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wile I was doing a full engine check down today, i noticed something wierd while measuring my valves. when I took the covers off i noticed a pool of oil around the left side exaust valve, Maby around a quarter cup or so. Is this normal ??also the Allen headed plug with a copper washer right next to that spot on the side of the head had some oil residue around the perimeter. Maby it has to do with the pooled oil behind it?

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
The pool of oil is normal - it is there for the cam lobe to dip into for lubrication on start-up until oil pressure supplies flow to the upper part of the engine. The oil around the "plug" on the side of the head is somewhat normal. The "plug" is actually the end of one of the rocker arm shafts. If you were to remove that "plug" (and the shaft attached to it), the rocker arms would fall off requiring removal of the cylinder head cover to re-install that shaft and "plug". If the oil around the "plug" bothers you, try tightening it a bit. The correct torque is 20 foot pounds, but you can over torque to 24 or 26 safely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good I wanted to make shure thier wasn't a future problem. My engine is completely origional minus port and polish with origional bore at 150psi comp. I'm trying to keep an eye on this old engine to keep it goin good

·
Registered
9 Posts
The pool of oil is normal - it is there for the cam lobe to dip into for lubrication on start-up until oil pressure supplies flow to the upper part of the engine. The oil around the "plug" on the side of the head is somewhat normal. The "plug" is actually the end of one of the rocker arm shafts. If you were to remove that "plug" (and the shaft attached to it), the rocker arms would fall off requiring removal of the cylinder head cover to re-install that shaft and "plug". If the oil around the "plug" bothers you, try tightening it a bit. The correct torque is 20 foot pounds, but you can over torque to 24 or 26 safely.
Perfect! That info about the "plug" is exactly what I have been looking for.
Thank you!
So for the rear rocker shaft bolt in the pic, I can just try and fit an allen wrench in there and snug it up a bit?
Don't know how to get a torque wrench on it. The frame is in the way of using the my allen wrench socket, or whatever you call the allen wrench driver, that fits into a ratchet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
Yes - almost all service operations are depicted with the engine out of the frame. In the real world we take the cover off the engine, but how do you hold the cover to torque certain parts with the cover off the engine? I have fashioned certain "special tools" to reach parts with the engine in for all brands of vehicles. The engineers who design the vehicles are not concerned with subsequent service needs - their concern is how to install a complete engine assembly as quickly and efficiently as possible. Try torquing the front sub-rocker arm shaftseither way. Engine in or out, you need a special tool to torque the shaft to specification.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, that is enlightening. Of course it makes perfect sense, just hadn't thought about it in that way, for some reason.

Back to my task, stopping the oil leak from that rear rocker arm shaft in the pic. Is there a real world solution that has a good chance of working, without pulling the engine out of the frame, or pulling the cover?

And if I have to pull the cover and install both those copper washers on those two rocker shafts, do I need to replace anything else while I'm in there? I'm thinking the two copper washers, since they are the only one's leaking, and a new head cover gasket, anyhing else? Oh, and the manual says to put some thread locker, on the threads of the rocker shafts. I don't currently have any thread locker, is the medium strength ok for this, and a good "all around" thread locker?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
If ur not concerned about appearence - take a good (new) Vice Grip Pliers, clamp it onto the outside edge of the head of the shaft and tighten as tight as you can get it. It will mar (leave grooves) where you clamped the pliers on, but it should do the job. Oh yeah - it's not considered a "leak" unless the oil is pooling or dripping on the outside of the motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's a great idea. It gave me one too. I may be able to get the short end of a regulat allen wrench in there, and clamp some vice grips, to the other end of the allen wrench. Will try that first tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!
Here's a top view pic. The lighting is poor though. I'll check that forward head cover bolt too.
Really appreciate your help!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.