Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought this bike yesterday. 07 trx 400 ex there were and are many issues all minor. This machine started right up..Did not want to stay running at idle.He claimed aftet warm up ran great. That it did Not. I mentioned use of choke. He claimed he never used it he also stated he never changed the spark plug only the Oil. What brand plug did Honda use and put in at the Factory. I pulled out an Denso X24GPR-U. Possibly he was telling the truth ? I am going to pull fuel tank off and clean, put new plug in, and air filter, change Oil and Oil filter. I guess if it does not run proper I would be looking at the carburetor ????
What else should I be looking at. I want to put this bike back to close as perfect that I can.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Honda used both NGK and Denso plugs - that is the correct number for ND - the NGK would have been DPR8Z - personally, I like the ND over the NGK

Get the carb serviced - have the valve clearence checked - use oil JASO rated MA or MA2 - use premium fuel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
gas color and spark plug question

Thank you for the education...
Please teach me more.......
You prefer Denso over NGK May I ask why?
Got it torn apart today body panels off and cleaned fuel tank the gas was a darkish yellow color what does that color tell you? Does that mean old gummed up gas? Should I go in the carburetor or wait to see how it runs? Is there a fuel filter somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Denso gives you a U-grooved ground electrode at no extra charge - with NGK you pay extra for a V-grooved electrode. Denso plugs lasted longer in my 2 strokes.

Gas color dosen't mean much unless you know what color it was when new. The smell tells more.

Fuel filter is in the the gas tank on the petcock.

If it runs, see how it runs before working on the carb. Typically it will run at throttle but not idle. If it won't idle, clean the carb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If its not broke , you cannot fix it....

Thank you again,
Referring to carburetor issue, you had my thoughts exactly. If it ain't broke you can not fix it. Guess just needed to hear from someone else. Since times have really changed since I use yo be current on all this stuff,I really do appreciate the education. So here is another one if I may. Years ago every thing was by ear for adjusting the carburetor. Is it still by ear or is there equipment to assist with that now ? How about timing, the old fashion timing light work on this or is there more modern equipment ? RPM adjustment, the old fashion tune up gauges or once again is there more modern equipment ???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If its not broke , you cannot fix it....

Thank you again,
Referring to carburetor issue, you had my thoughts exactly. If it ain't broke you can not fix it. Guess just needed to hear from someone else. Since times have really changed since I use yo be current on all this stuff,I really do appreciate the education. So here is another one if I may. Years ago every thing was by ear for adjusting the carburetor. Is it still by ear or is there equipment to assist with that now ? How about timing, the old fashion timing light work on this or is there more modern equipment ? RPM adjustment, the old fashion tune up gauges or once again is there more modern equipment ???

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Tuning is still done mostly by ear unless working with fuel injection. Of course there is special equipment for measuring the O2 in the exhaust, but the machines do not necessarily run best when adjusted to meet environmental criteria. Timing is set by the crankshaft and timing lights are almost a thing of the past. RPM is a matter of personal preference - I tend to set my idle high to prevent stalling when chopping the throttle for a turn - also makes a hot engine easier to start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
constant short back fire

Accomplished a couple things, changed Oil and filter, cleaned fuel tank, sat tank on top to get running. Put about 4 oz. of sea foam in fuel. Started right up. Warmed up, took for short ride to end of street on my naked bike. Could not wait. Just had to. Here we go. Called sea foam for there input. They said 4Oz to a gallon get hot let cool get hot let cool. They claim best way to clean carburetor. Now what it did...... Did not like idling. Tried to up the idle. Did not do much good. Had constant popping sound at idle not high rpm. Back firing???
I need some more education please.......
Thank you Again.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
rear brake issue

Of course brake fluid was leaking. The brake shoes, oh no what brake shoes. There were none. The piston taking and doing the friction of the shoes and the piston shaft popped out past last o ring making it leak. This guy I bought from did No PM at all or after Maintenance.

The front shoes I checked. The indication guide was all the way to the inside of bike. Did not see any shoes by the eye. Indicator all the way to left on right wheel and all way to right on left wheel. Do I have good shoes or bad on the front ??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Honda used both NGK and Denso plugs - that is the correct number for ND - the NGK would have been DPR8Z - personally, I like the ND over the NGK

Get the carb serviced - have the valve clearence checked - use oil JASO rated MA or MA2 - use premium fuel
I would agree with his suggestion and idea. Just to add check the tire expiration mark and change the brake fluid for safety issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.