Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I purchased a carb rebuilt kit for my 97 300EX. For the pilot mixture screw, can someone tell me what order the washer, o-ring and spring go in? I wasn't paying attention when I pulled my old one out.

Also, I'm getting a really high idle when I let this think idle. I'm wondering if I screwed up the order when I installed the pilot mixture screw and it's causing the backfire. If that's not it, any ideas? I've checked the carb boots and they don't seem to have any cracks or holes where I'd get a leak.

Thanks!
Chad

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
The correct order is - o-ring, washer, spring, screw. I always put the spring, then the washer, then the o-ring on the screw and insert as an assembly.

The high idle may be caused by an air (vacuum) leak, damaged part, improper assembly or simply incorrect idle speed screw setting. The fuel/air screw setting simply provides a smooth idle after all else is set and the engine is fully warmed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks H2H!

I'm betting that is my problem, since I don't have the o-ring in the right spot. Air could be getting in and causing a vacuum leak. Even when I tried to adjust the idle with the screw it wasn't making a difference.

I'll install the screw correctly and report back what I find, in addition to checking the carb boots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts