Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wheels are in good condition for the amount of trails that I ride but I've been thinking about getting some black rims that are a little higher quality than the stockers. Until then I've decided to jump on the PlastiDip bandwagon. Im planning to spray the wheels sometime this weekend after I mount up the new RAZR tires. Does anybody have any experience with PlastiDip? Ill be sure to post pictures and let you know how the painted wheels hold up with some good trail abuse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally Done

Ok, so I got the new tires mounted and finished the PlastiDip process today. Ill get into the details of how I prepped and applied the PlastiDip but first heres the finished result...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PlastiDip Process

So I started by removing cleaning the wheels very well with rubbing alcohol. I then let them air dry for a few minutes before wiping down with a clean/dry shop towel. I then shoved notecards between the tire and wheel to eliminate overspray on the tire(I had to push down on the sidewall in some spots to create a gap large enough to slide a card in). Then I taped off the valve stem with regular blue painters tape. I then sprayed the outermost section of the wheel (right by the notecards), and worked my way to the interior of the wheel (by where the lug nuts go). I applied the PlastiDip on fairly fast and thick (much thicker that regular spray paint) and I did not allow more that 30 seconds between coats. After the 2nd coat I removed the notecards to prevent the PlastiDip to bond to them. *If the PlastiDip bonds to the notecards and dries, when you remove the notecard, it will tear the PlastiDip off the wheel* So be sure to promptly remove the notecards. After the notecard removal I continued to spray the interior section of the wheel. I allowed the PlastiDip to dry while I prepped and painted the remaining wheels. This stuff dries very fast but I would wait at least 20 minutes before handling the painted wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just finished a few hours ago so I havnt taken it on any trails yet. I just feel better giving the PlastiDip a day to cure but I don't think it is necessary. It is surprising how quick this stuff dries. It seems like it is pretty strong but I'm sure that a sharp rock or stick could rip the PlastiDip but touchups would be easy enough and where else can you drastically transform the look of your for a few bucks. I bought 3 cans for a total of $16 but I only used a little over 1 1/2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.