Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a 01 400ex that start right up with no problem but as soon as you hit it thats where it want to shut off(its like rev up) or if you take it out slowly and work your way up in speed and hit it will happen the same thing. All this happen when I put a high comp. piston with header, pipe and now just bought cdi and coil stage 3 and k&n filter and the head is porter just a litter . I have been playing with the carb but nothing soo far(atm i have 162 had it with 148 and nothing) I was wondering if anybody have any idea of what jet i should put on or any advice will be helpfull. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
No idea on what jet size would be right but definitely keep messing with your jets. Try to check your plug after high rpms in 4th or 5th gear, but that will probably be difficult if its running the way you say it is. Go up and down with your jet sizes. If it gets any better than maybe mess with your needle, only if its running "decent".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12:1 wiseco.. what im thinking on doing next is clean the fuel filter maybe there is some dirt and get some new fuel and try again. At this moment ill try anything . Have some friends ready to race and they are killing me lol

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
With a 12:1 piston, you should be running 94 to 95 octane fuel, but fuel is probably not the problem.

When an engine dies at full throttle it's usually one of two reasons - too much or to little fuel

If you wind it up slowly and it reaches a point where it will not take any more throttle try choking it and it revs more, then you are too lean - if it runs worse or not at all with the choke on, then it's probably too rich - adjust your jetting accordingly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My cousin did the installation of the piston and put all the engine together and it ran fin for the brake in and after the brake in was done I decided to put all the extra parts. We are cousin but we race and i wanted to do the rest on my own that way he dosent know what I have put on. I will like to try all i can with this carb and see what i get but definitely will check how much is a 450 carb... what set up you have on your quad?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With a 12:1 piston, you should be running 94 to 95 octane fuel, but fuel is probably not the problem.

When an engine dies at full throttle it's usually one of two reasons - too much or to little fuel

If you wind it up slowly and it reaches a point where it will not take any more throttle try choking it and it revs more, then you are too lean - if it runs worse or not at all with the choke on, then it's probably too rich - adjust your jetting accordingly
I have been thinking to try a litter of 110 actane and the rest of 93 and see what I get from that. I have a friend he used to put in his quad but had more aftermarket parts than me and thats why im here trying to see any other advice with carb adjustment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would invest in a big bore before I went with a 450 carb. I have the Wiseco 440 kit, stage 3 hot cam, ported, LRD full exhaust,White Bros. rev box, Twin air power flo filter charger, U.M. pre filter on airbox, 05' 450 carb. I think you may have to fatten your jetting from what your saying it is doing or you have debris in your jets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would invest in a big bore before I went with a 450 carb. I have the Wiseco 440 kit, stage 3 hot cam, ported, LRD full exhaust,White Bros. rev box, Twin air power flo filter charger, U.M. pre filter on airbox, 05' 450 carb. I think you may have to fatten your jetting from what your saying it is doing or you have debris in your jets.
Too much money! Wanted to do some like that but too much for me at the moment. Will like to have fun with what I have and plus is brand new piston. I live in orlando, what about you? Can you beat some 450 or 660?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Live in Sarasota. Understand the $ issue. I can beat some 450's never went against a 660 but smoked a 700 Vforce. I race in the woods. The reason that I like the 400ex is it's handling characteristics. I never felt comfy in the woods on any other quad.I was willing to dump some time and cash into my machine to get it where it is now. Talk about fun, its unbelievable!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.