Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i tested the resistance of the Bu/Y and ground it was 330 ohms, within spec. does that mean the pulse generator is good, or can it still be bad? I am not getting any voltage on a meter or test light.
Also where is the pulse generator?
Thanks.
'93 TRX 350

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Yes, it can have the correct resistance, but still not generate the voltage needed to trigger the CDI.

Were you using a PEAK voltage tester? A cheap multi-meter will not read the pulse from the coil. If you use the DC or resistance scale you might get some indication, but you need a peak voltage meter or adapter for a std. meter to read the peak voltage. The pulse is typically 3 to 5 volts.

The pulse coil is located inside the stator cover. Part # 30410-HM3-003 $34 US. You will also need a LH engine cover gasket, oil and a filter to replace it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No I was only using the basic multimeter, I have a peak voltage adapter on order.
So I will check the pulse coil first and replace if needed, then look at the cdi. All other checks, connections, wires seem ok for now. Keeping in mind that it still could be a bad ground connection somewhere.
I've already changed the coil with new spark plug.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to add something that I've been thinking about. This 4 wheeler has been sitting for a couple years and now has no spark. It also has a busted lower ball joint on the right side, which is why I think someone parked it, then in time corrosion took over.
And obviously it was running before, so I am thinking it is a bad ground.

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
Thanks for the kind words - I'm only on here to help - there are others on here who are quite helpful also - I'm just an old fart who has been wrenching for 50 years - I can massage magic out of a carburetor, but don't ask me about fuel injection - it's a mystery to me.

I almost forgot - 90% of electrical problems are connections and 90% of connection problems are ground connections.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got spark and it fired up on a squirt in the plug hole!
I was just checking connections not even sure which one it was. Now I'm going for the fuel system. And the old coil still works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got spark again, all I did was unhook the green plug(3 yellow wires) test continuity, unhook clips on cdi to test(dropped cdi on floor), and checked coil then put together everything and there's spark. These electric gremlins are enough to put a person in the loonie bin.😥 I'm done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely cdi! This morning it wouldn't fire and all I did was 3 good taps with 9/16 wrench and it fired right up. I seen this suggestion before and I tried it but just light taps with a screwdriver. You gotta really hit it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts