Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 400ex would not shift properly and fall out of gear while riding. Took the clutch cover off and the piece in my picture was no longer touching the star piece. I need to know how it and the spring go back. Also should the star shaped piece be in a certain position when I connect the loose piece.
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Black Steering part
Automotive tire White Gear Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
That is the shift lock - it does not need to be in any specific position when the new spring is installed, but it is a broken spring that is the cause of the problem - spring #8 in the pic
Font Auto part Art Line art Drawing

If you replace the spring and it continues to jump out of gear, it may have been a problem in the transmission that caused the spring to fail, but you have to fix the lock first to see if there was any other damage.

Here is a pic from the service manual showing the stopper in the 'indexed' neutral position (note: there is a neutral position between each gear, but only the one between 1st and 2nd is indexed)
White Black Textile Sleeve Automotive tire

All you need to do to replace the spring is remove the pivot bolt (not the cam plate bolt in the pic) - note that there is a washer that goes between the engine case and the pivot bolt. Put the pivot bolt (has a shoulder on it) through the roller arm and put the washer over the threaded portion - hook the spring to the arm and put all the parts in place just starting the bolt threads in the hole - start tightening the the pivot bolt and just as the arm starts to bind on the cam plate, use a screw driver or pliers to rotate the arm against the spring tension so the roller clears the plate and finish tightening the pivot bolt. Don't over tighten - it only requires 6 foot lbs of torque to keep it tight. Lift the rear wheels off the ground and operate the shifter - you may have to slightly rotate the rear wheels to facilitate shifting - watch the cam plate and roller arm to assure the drum rotates and the roller falls into the low spots locking each gear and when the roller is in the shallow notch, it is in neutral. Now you can put it all back together and go riding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. I followed your instructions and got everything back together perfectly. The spring actually was not broken but the bolt backed out from vibration. The person who rebuilt it must have not torqued it down properly. I bought a torque wrench and made sure everything is to spec. If I run into any other problems ill be sure to make another post.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Ahh - I missed the part about the engine being completely rebuilt, so I did not consider that the bolt may have loosened. Congrats on the repair - kinda makes you wonder what else the monkey may left loose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts